Et tu, Brute?

K kids, I told Tabs I wouldn't blog about this but I can't sleep until I get it off my chest.


Today (or rather, yesterday since it's past 12 am) I got a hate comment from a friend who, from time to time, will leave hate comments. I've never said anything to her in return, does that make me too passive and an easy target? The reason I don't say anything to her is because of something that happened in the past, but this time, maybe I should.

I don't mind if I'm the only who will see the hate comment, but since at least two other people saw it this time (stupid fb sent an email to everyone else who commented on the picture) I think I should.

I also knew that I would get unwanted comments with these pictures.

Yesterday, I also had to deal with another friend who I've stopped talking to for a while. I finally had a text out with her (yeah, you read that right, a 'text out.' It's when you confront someone via text because you're too chicken to talk to them in real life) and told her to stop bugging everyone else about the problem she has with me. If it's just between the two of us, then that's fine, but once other people get involved I have to draw the line.

Then I also had that incident with Ting.

Actually, I also had another minor incident with someone else where we stopped keeping in contact and I asked something of her ....

GAHH-

Seriously, what is wrong with me? I'm becoming a serial friend dropper. I thought fb was suppose to help me keep in touch with all these people. (Fail fb fail!)

I don't drop everyone. I think the problem with me is that once a friendship has reached a certain point where it becomes nothing but negative I make the unconscious decision to cease all communication. Never at one point do I ever suddenly say: "Gee, today I think I'll stop being friends with so and so."

Maybe this is another form of running away from my problems? I wonder what Freud would say about this ....

-----Edit-----

You know what I just realized?!?

I'm always fine and dandy when I'm surrounded by a lot of people. Like today, even though it was really long, I was fine since I had people all around me.

It's only when you're alone in your room, blogging at midnight, and reflecting on your thoughts that all these negative thoughts start to surround you. And I'm not the only one this happens to.

Prime example: Brutus, from Julius Caesar. When he was plotting to kill Caesar it was in his room late at night. Before this, he had thought of Caesar as a good friend.

COINCIDENCE!?

Et tu, Brute?

7 responses to “Et tu, Brute?

  1. But sometimes it's good to be alone with your thoughts, and I'm not saying this because I am very much an introvert. This happens to me all the time. Sometimes when individuals have issues to deal with, whether they are consciously aware of it or not, they find a lot of solace from being with other people. But while they are in the company of others, there is still a sense of restless inside. It is USUALLY when alone that one can actually take on sources of this restlessness. But, you can also go insane, like Brutus. lol

  2. I never thought of it like that. I guess when you're around a group of people you don't really realize you're restless.

  3. I love the title of the post.

    I think it's logical to "drop" friends, or at least stay away from them for awhile, when you feel nothing but negativity from them, or if it's not a healthy relationship, like your friend who keeps leaving hate comments. Afterwards, it depends on if you feel like the relationship's worth working through, and if they're a friend worth keeping, I guess...

  4. Like Ariel said, I think its perfectly reasonable to drop friends if there is a serious "disagreement" amongst two people. I mean if its large enough for someone to write "hate messages" I don't see the need to keep in contact at all. In fact why even bother to have them as friends on fb. The only communication that should happen is when the person that wronged the other one apologizes. Though I can see how who you think is responsible can differ. Regardless, you don't have to fix every problem that comes your way. No one has to bear that burden.

    This is speaking from personal experience where I had a serious disagreement with a friend a long time ago and we have not talked or had any contact with each other since. That was probably 5 or 6 years ago.

    Anyways, I don't think you should worry too much. You should take comfort in the fact that there are a lot more people that would stand up for you and defend you, then "friends" that would try to hurt you.

    Lastly, if you're still worry about it, do what I see you Christians do, ask God about it. Apparently there is no problem too small to talk to God about. That's what I took away from last week's small group :)

  5. But what if this friend and I went through experiences together? Or what if this friend has medical issues? I don't really keep in contact with her, but since we have had a long history together I don't feel like it's right to just get rid of our friendship that quickly/easily.

    Thanks for your advice Colin :) I like the last part of your comment, you're right, no problem is too small for God.

Leave a Reply

Followers

Archive