Saturday, Critics and Theorists

Life without parents:


Not as exciting as I had imagined, but this could be due to the fact that I've been too busy to do anything exciting. My biggest concern had been how I was going to manage to feed everyone, but since everyone pretty much has a job it hasn't been a problem because we've all just been separately going out to buy our own food.

I was planning on going grocery shopping today, but Annabelle gave me a lecture about saving money and cooking with what we had. Easy for her to say, she wasn't the one who had to cook.

Anyway, she was right though. I got off my butt and actually cooked a bunch of things today: I made pickled cucumbers, which is basically pickles but I prefer calling them pickled cucumbers; fried rice; chicken soup; and waffles. I have no problems with cooking, I just never do it because I don't know how to make food taste good.

I also missed out on seeing Harry Potter with Tabitha and everyone else today because I had to study (and to some degree babysit my brothers) Oh well, I'll just watch it later on with other people.

I've been reading a bunch if essays by theorists and critics like Saussure, Jakobson, Bakhtin, Todorov, Derrida ... Foucault for my Theory and Criticism class. I won't lie, I do find what they have to say interesting and fascinating (to a certain extent) but it's just that ... getting through each and every single essay is soo tedious.

Basically, I feel like Penny when she's talking to Sheldon. Half the time, I have to re-read the sentence ten million times to understand what they're saying, which is why it's taking me so long to get through one essay. I suppose that's just the downfall for being intellectual: no one understands what you have to say.

It's like Dilton from the Archie comics, whenever he talked the speech bubble would just be: "!#^*&, (*)){"^$%}, +/~!@#&*%" Not to represent swearing, just to represent big words that no one else understood. (Typical Moose response to Dilton: "Duh...")

I'll give you guys an example:
This is from Derrida

"Thus it has always been thought that the center, which is by definition unique, constituted that very thing within a structure which while governing the structure, escapes structurally. This is why classical thought concerning structure could say that the center is, paradoxically, within the structure and outside it. The center is at the center of the totality, and yet, since the center does not belong to the totality, the totality has its center elsewhere. The center is not the center."

Ok Jacques Derrida, if the center is not the center, could you please call it something else! Naming something that it's not is EXTREMELY ANNOYING. Call it the origin or something.

It's like me naming a dog Cat.

"Cat likes to bark and Cat likes to dig holes. Cat also likes to chase cats, but Cat is not cat. Cat is dog."

I really have no idea how I'm going to do on this test. I've been trying to translate these essays into layman terms but it takes so bloody long. It's ok, I just have to hope that everyone else will fail so the professor has no choice but to bell curve the exam.

/Stressstreessstresstresscoffeehyperstresshyperstress

Leave a Reply

Followers

Archive