Today I personally witnessed the worst kind of library abuse, making me feel like I should write a 'library etiquette' manual, since some people don't seem to know how to properly behave at the library.
I was sitting in the library this afternoon waiting for Jessie, after having been attacked by a squirrel. (Squirrels who are about to go into hibernation should never be teased with invisible peanuts.)
I sat at this table that was occupied by ONE GIRL. I reserved the spot next to me for Jessie, but then I spotted my sister trolling along with her huge backpack. I told her to sit on the last un-occupied spot when the girl said, "That seat is taken."
Annabelle didn't complain, since there were plenty of other seats. Jessie soon came and we were busy nerding it out. However, I soon noticed that it had been more than an hour and the girls invisible friend had yet to show up. I was getting annoyed with her, since 1) I suspected she was lying 2) She was sleeping behind her leather covered mac book.
Anyway, Colin showed randomly to study, but since half the table was taken up by sleeping beauty and her invisible friend, he left to go elsewhere.
Finally, the girl's friend, who happened to be her boyfriend, shows up. I was like, "Well, that's alright, since she wasn't lying."
But then she goes, "Can you guys watch our stuff for a bit?"
Having good library etiquette, Jessie and I answer yes.
She then leaves for two and a half hours! What a waste of space! Colin and Annabelle could have occupied those two spots, which would have come in handy since I was also working on the story board for Idea#4 (for the picture movie thing) and Colin was helping me.
So eventually I went to class, leaving Jessie by herself. When I got to class a few minutes later I received a text from her telling me that the couple came back and started making out.
WHAT.
Who makes out in the library like that?!? Seriously. What. A. Waste. Of. Space.
Anyway, I just came back to Gerstein just now (Annabelle and I usually leave campus at 9:15) and they're still at it. Not making out, just sitting there chatting. Grrr.
Oh and I know the guy too, he's in my Shakespeare class. I recognize him because he's a keener and sits in the front of the class and makes a lot of insightful comments. For someone who's so insightful, he's lacking serious library etiquette.
/endrant
---
But seriously, I was attacked by a squirrel. I learned how to do the squirrel call in first year when I saw this old guy feeding them.
Ann's useful tutorial#2:
How to make squirrel calls:
1)Put the top row of your teeth against the bottom. Do not clench your jaw.
2)Kiss your teeth, a.k.a make tsk-ing sounds by hitting your tongue against your teeth.
3)Keep kissing your teeth until the squirrel comes up to you.
And voila, you are now an expert on squirrel calling. This only works on campus squirrels though, since they're used to human interaction. Kinda like how if you threaten to kick a downtown pigeon it'll just 'coo stupidly at you.