Elephant Conundrum

I was feeling extremely brain dead and unable to function properly today, which was unfortunate since I found myself in a conversation about Christianity with a couple of people today. I don't know why I always get into these conversations, but I suppose it's because most of my friends have been seeking some sort of spiritual purpose.


When I was in first year, I found myself in a group of friends who believed in the B'hai faith. The B'hai faith essentially believes that all religions lead up to the same God, and the different religions lead up to this God. Sort of like how you can take many different roads to reach a certain destination. Some may drive a car, some may walk, some may take the plane there or some people might bike there.

As always, since this is the only spiritual book I'm reading at the moment, this reminded me of a passage from 'The Reason for God.' It's really interesting:

"Each religion sees part of spiritual truth, but none can see the whole truth."

Sometimes this point is illustrated with the story of the blind men and the elephant. Several blind men were walking along and came upon an elephant that allowed them to touch and feel it. "This creature is long and flexible like a snake" said the first blind man, holding the elephants trunk. "Not at all - it is thick and round like a tree trunk," said the second blind man, feeling the elephant's leg. "No, it is large and flat," said the third blind man, touching the elephant's side. Each blind man could feel only part of the elephant - none could envision the entire elephant. In the same way, it is argued, the religions of the world each have a grasp on part of the truth about spiritual reality, but none can see the whole elephant or claim to have a comprehensive vision of the truth.

This illustration backfires on its users. The story is told from the point of view of someone who is not blind. How could you know that each blind man only sees part of the elephant unless you claim to be able to see the whole elephant?

How could you possibly know that no religion can see the whole truth unless you yourself have superior, comprehensive knowledge of spiritual reality you claimed that one of the religions have?

---

My point is that the B'hai faith can't claim that they have the whole truth of all spiritual reality since the only claim they have is their own religion, and don't study other faiths, thought hey claim to believe in it as well. (They have their own bible.)

I'm not claiming that Christianity will have the whole picture of the elephant and know all spiritual truths/reality, but what I do know is that through God I have spiritual peace/purpose and am not out there seeking for other things to fulfill this need.

Philippians 3:6-7
Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.

I was at peace afterwards, since I have nothing to worry/be anxious about life in general. Everything will work itself out. (Insert Peace sign here)

Anyway, I feel like I have to share my spiritual going ons with you all since it might help someone somewhere out there. It's strange that a lot of people my age are seeking something, even Mona, whom I haven't spoken to in a while. She always asks me why I was so 'religious' (her way of saying spiritual) even in my darkest days, then asked me a whole bunch of religious questions I couldn't answer.

But one thing that I'd have to say is really cool is that if you look back to the beginning of when I started this blog a year ago, I was spiritually dead. I use to complain about Christianity how I didn't care. (This is one of the cool things about having a diary/blog.) Big change huh? I went from not caring at all to caring for other peoples spirituality. I really am a lot happier now than I was a year ago.

2 responses to “Elephant Conundrum”

  1. My pastor today talked about how we have everything we need in Christ. EVERYTHING. Peace, grace, comfort, "every spiritual blessing", etc. He says that often times, we pray for peace, or for God to be with us, but in Christ we already have peace, and God is always with us. I just found it really interesting since I always forget how we already have all these things that we always pray for. lol I'm not sure why I'm writing this here but I just thought I'd share.

Leave a Reply

Followers

Archive