I'm reading Without a Name by Yvonne Vera at the moment since I'm doing a presentation on it next week for my African Lit class. Yvonne Vera is so poetical in her writing style, it's almost lyrical. It's like a metaphysical novel really ...
Writing styles really do it for me and I would like to compare different writing styles to different types of music or different art styles from an artist. I could be reading a really boring book but continue to persevere with it because of the writing style, which come to think of it is how I got through reading Robinson Crusoe. I like Defoe.
Yeah, so besides Yvonne Vera's fantastic writing style I can't find a solid topic to do my presentation on. I mean, I can always fall on my back up plan, which is to explore the significance of the fact that she hadn't named the child (hence the title of the book) and the significance of each character in accordance to the apartheid. But it seems like such a broad and over used topic that I want to strive for something more original, like another twist in the novel.
Plus writing about the apartheid is closely related to the pro colonialism aspect in Robinson Crusoe that I want to write my other essay on. UGH .... I just realized that while I was typing this, resulting to the fact that this post has no coherence to it but it's not like anyone reads this anyway.
Hmm, kay so there's this general imaginelessness that is sweeping the nation. I would like to believe that it begun with all this Twilight crap that people believe is good literature. It is not. The author has lousy writing style and the plot is loose. I mean, take the descriptions of the characters themselves: Edward is a vampire with no fangs and walks in daylight and sparkles. And that werewolf guy who's not a even a real werewolf, he's just a shapeshifter that turns into a dog.
Anyway, whatever, so I was wrong though, this general imaginelessness that is sweeping the nation did not begin with this Twilight crap, instead it begun, or started too anyway, in the 80's when tights were in. Yes, they have come back into fashion. And yes, TNA has pants that are so tight they might as well be tights. But tights and these fake tights posing as pants form TNA have this in common: They both reveal way too much of the woman's anatomy. What's the point? Isn't it much better to just leave it covered and imagine for yourself what would be there: isn't that what your imagination is for?
Ok just a little rant. I hate girls who wear tights. Either they're starved for attention or they don't realize the indecent message their sending out to guys.
Oh there's this other crappy song on the radio, I don't know what it's called but there's that one line: "What's your name, What's your number, I'm glad I came."
Is it just me or is that a bad pun at the end there? He doesn't even know what her name is and he's glad he came. God, it's songs like this that makes me want to hurl. It's like it's sending an indirect message to girls to degrade themselves.
Hey girls, he doesn't know your name and he doesn't know your number, but be glad he came! (pun pun)
---
I found this! http://tightsarenotpants.com/manifesto