For most of my literature classes, the topic of oppression has come up making most of the novels increasingly difficult to read since it's emotionally draining.
Obasan is a novel about the oppression in which Canadian Japanese have endured during WWII after the attack on Pearl Harbor. It's different reading this novel for me because it takes place in Canada, and the fact that they're Japanese hits close to home.
It's a really ironic novel since during WWII Canada was fighting in the war because of the oppression the Jew's were facing, which really is a hyprocritical action since Canada was doing the same thing to it's own people - to the Japanese Canadians who had the same rights as the White Canadian's since they're Canadian citizens. Apparently, in 1988 (I think this was the year, not too sure, anyway, it was sometime in the 80's) when the Japanese Canadians were given an apology for the mistreatment they went through a part of this novel was read out loud. See how powerful words on paper could be?
That is all, I want to do my essay on this book.
I write a lot of essays and response papers. My favourite Proff. is my African Literature Proff. because he has really narrowed down to me what a good literature paper is suppose to be like. There's something about dissecting a novel that's oddly satisfying - although, since I write so many essays, I have to be careful not to apply this to my own life.