Better is Open Rebuke than Hidden Love

To Kirsten:


Hello.

Remember that time when you and Keisha asked Annabelle and I to play that board game you guys brought to church, because no one else wanted to play with you guys, and ever since then we've been friends? And we'd be self conscious because every time we all hung out, we'd look like a pair of twins - which is why Ting was so essential to the group.

Remember 'Night Watch' and how it was just an excuse to talk on the phone for five hours straight about nothing and guys and school and going to university and church and who likes who - since back then, life was simple for me but it was complicated for you. We'd write in our journals with elusive writings of what we thought we felt, but even this wouldn't be enough because there'd be weeks where no one wrote in their journal, so I tried to fill in the gaps with doodles and musings.

Remember how we'd have sleepovers at my place and promised to watch the sunrise, but always slept right through them, since we stayed up all night singing songs with Ting's guitar. And that time you guys made a horror movie with Peter Cho's tape in the bathroom at Hall 2, with Heng as the ghost and Keisha on light effects - then there was when we accidentally went to the Thanksgiving dinner and felt horrendously horrified when we were unwanted, so we snuck up to the roof and threw rocks, hoping it'd hurt someone. The morning after we went to visit Tabi in her dorm room on campus, but not after running into Seo in chinatown, and I had to rush to work and Ting received that email about the Thanksgiving dinner later on that evening. Isn't it odd how I'm now helping to plan it, and you're coming as an invited guest?

Speaking of work, remember that time you, Keisha, and Chris came to visit me at work in Yorkdale, and I tried not to make a long conversation with you guys because I was covered in chicken grease and my uniform stunk. Remember Chris? The last time I saw him was at your bbq, when I avoided talking to him because I was mean to him and yelled at him over msn, and yes, we're still not talking, even though I sometimes still ask Amy Tang what he's doing.

Then there was that time when everyone was in a relationship, and we went from saying, "How would you know, where was your first kiss?" to asking, "Which one?" because we all knew love failed time and time again, our illusions of Prince Charming disappearing bit by bit since every guy turned into the next biggest jerk. Remember ladies, you're not dating Jesus, he isn't perfect.

And now we're back to blogging, my simple faith turning into noddles, and having it seem like the journals we use to carry around in our pockets, but instead of paper, we'd read our blogs on our blackberries. Still portable. And now Annabelle wants her guitar back, even though she no longer stays up late singing, and we're too mature to throw rocks to hurt someone. But still, we'll gossip about guys and tweet about nothing and complain about class and breakups, because even though we've stopped talking, our friendship never ended.

4 responses to “Better is Open Rebuke than Hidden Love

  1. Anonymous

    awww thanks Ann! I read this and I think I was really close to tears. We have such awesome memories together. I'll love you forever. <33

  2. this is brilliantly written. good job :)

  3. Thanks guys, I didn't realize this would be a tear jerker lol.

  4. This is a really nice post. =)

Leave a Reply

Followers

Archive