The Art of Sleeping In

Sitting in Gerstein at the moment, and I just witnessed Elton ninja kill a flying, yellow bug with his binder.

Smack!

It’s poor splattered body lay dead and dismantled on the table and his binder. The death of this bug is amusing because the smack snapped our heads out of our books (in my case, my macbook).

Mondays are the best days for sleeping in. When you sleep in during the weekend, it almost seems indulgent since you know there are a lot of other things that need to get done, but sleeping in on Mondays is perfect because you know it’s Monday – the start of a new week – and already you deserve a break.

I recently encountered this Chinese essayist named Liang Yuchun who wrote a piece called “The Priceless Moments of a Spring Morn: Idle Thoughts of an Idle Fellow, #1” and when I read it, I totally empathized and understood what he was writing.

Basically, the piece Yuchun wrote is in defense of the art of sleeping in. He writes:

“Where else, except in art, can we find all the consolations associated with getting up late? Even now there are many people who do not appreciated the advantages of getting up late. This, too, proves that it is an art, for only art is ignored in such a manner.”

Eventually, the supposed form of getting up late as ‘laziness’ became a type of meditation for him, even suffering through hunger, just so he could perfect the art of sleeping in.

I found this brilliant. I’m the master of sleeping in, as I’ve blogged about countless of times before. What I also found interesting was that Liang Yuchun is from the Fujian province and was an English Specialist in some Western University. The coincidences are uncanny. I wonder if we’re related somewhere down the line.

Lately though, sleeping in has caused me to pray. I’ve caught myself waking up in prayer and wondering how that happened a few times already. There are a lot of things going on in life right now, and my life is starting to resemble a Korean Drama, but prayer is keeping me grounded.

Alright, back to work. Turns out I have to redo the student reports I did over the weekend because the parents want something more substantial although I felt I did a thoroughly substantial job.

Here’s one for the team …

---

Oh and it turns out this is my 300th post, not the other one. Woops. False alarm. I had a 'draft' post that I never published sitting around, and blogger counted it as a post. THIS is officially my 300th published post.

2 responses to “The Art of Sleeping In

  1. Are you sure you're not going to say in your next post that that's actually your 300th post? You're going to become the girl who cried 300th post.. :-P

  2. Shuddup, I'm an English major, numbers isn't my thing.

Leave a Reply

Followers

Archive