Today was a really random and long day.
I spent a good chunk of the day at a leadership (me, a leader?) and mentorship training session so that I would be well prepared and equipped for the after school program at x middle school (I've temporarily forgotten the name). It was long and somewhat tedious, probably because they made us do a bunch of silly games like skits and pretend classroom scenarios.
Not surprisingly, I was one of the youngest people there. I guess I'm just one of those lucky ones who has found their life long calling at the tender young age of 22 - which to be precise, is to torture kids with what I think are useful life skills (but others may think otherwise). I had forgotten that we were supposed to bring business cards with us to the training session so we could keep in touch with the other coaches. I lamely tore up a piece of paper and wrote my name, email, and phone number on it to hand out to everyone.
I met a lot of interesting people though, like this first year med-student who wants to switch out because it's too hard. I was baffled while talking to her, since she was talking as if it was an everyday occurrence to get into med school and then switch out. I guess she must just either be really smart or really nonchalant about life.
Needless to say, I have very mixed feelings about this program at the moment. There are some really important life skills in the binder that they dumped into my hands that I'm excited to use on the people around me, but I'm also afraid of the mess I've gotten myself into. What if I royally mess someone's life up and accidentally insult a kid and then have that kid grow up with low self-esteem and hate me for the rest of their life? It could happen.
Happy thought of the day? I guess Ben, Vinay, Eddie and John's random karaoke session in the car ride made me happy.
I also really like driving people home since really good conversations come out of car rides. Annabelle and I usually drive Christine home, and I've gotten to know her more through the little conversations. Also, if we didn't drive Eugene home last Saturday, I would have never known his salvation story otherwise.