Today's perpetually terrible weather of half rain half snow, which eventually just turned into plain rain, made me realize two things:
a) That my boots are not waterproof
b) That the snow/rain not only managed to create puddles and lakes where there shouldn't be, but that sometimes, the weather really does reflect what we feel inside. Shakky would call this pathetic fallacy, but I would also like to call this a reflection of people's 'quarter life crisis.'
There are only a few weeks of classes left, which is not a good thing for me. It's not that I love my classes so much that I refuse to let go of them, it's the fact that I feel as if I need more time to redeem myself. We all get bad grades, but we wouldn't be beating ourselves up over these grades if it didn't prevent us from achieving our ultimate life goals.
Today at lunch, we got to the topic of what we want to do after we graduate. You'd think that by the time you get to your upper years in university, you'd at least have an idea of what you want to do for the rest of your life. The fact is, deciding what you want for a career isn't a decision that will just land on your lap as you sit by idly thinking, you have to be actively looking for it.
I was having lunch with Jessie, Tabitha, Selina and Lynette, who had to leave early because she was taking her grad photos, and we were pretty much despairing over the fact that we don't have a clear picture of how our life will unfold.
Some people say that knowing exactly what is going to happen in your life would make it boring and unexciting, but personally, I think I'd be happier knowing how my life will be laid out, that way I won't have to go through a quarter life crisis trying to figure it out for myself.
Later on, after I was done my classes for the day, I braved the crappy weather and went to Tim Hortons, where I ran into Jane and Scarlet. We ended up having coffee together. I wasn't aware that Jane and Scarlet were friends until this point, and I suspected that the reason why Jane met up with Scarlet was to ask her why she hasn't been to church lately. (Jane is super caring.)
Since Jane is at OISE, we started to grill her about her practicum and her students. Scarlet advised Jane to develop a mean attitude and be tough with the kids, and threaten them with surprise essays and quizzes, since Jane is apparently too nice. I asked Jane why she wanted to be a teacher, and she said that it was because she wanted to be a positive role model to kids who needed guidance.
She made me feel a bit better about my mini (not yet full blown) quarter life crisis. This is all very stressful though, and I'm not the only one experiencing this.
Random story:
Last night, I was lying wide awake in bed, since it was only 1am, which is two hours earlier than my usual bed time, when suddenly I heard someone heaving heavily. I thought it was my mom for a second, but quickly realized that it was coming outside of my window. As the heaving got heavier and heavier, weird thoughts started to enter my head, when all the sudden it stopped and was replaced by a "Gacchhhh spit spit Gachhhhhh" sound (it's kinda like the sound someone makes when they're gurgling, only more gruesome).
I was extremely freaked out, because it was obviously someone throwing up outside my house. The heaving, followed by the Gacchhhh sound, went on for a good ten minutes. I was concerned that it was on of my brothers, since let's face it, teenage boys will always make stupid decisions, so I went downstairs to check up on them and heard them rustling in their beds.
It was probably just my neighbour. I've always been oddly suspicious of them, probably because I don't even know their last name. In the summer, I would always hear a moan outside my window in the middle of the night. It sounds like a little girl moaning, but it could just be a dog with a bad bark.
The dog with a bad bark is kind of like today's weather: they both don't know what they want to be. The dog sounds like a little girl, and the rain is pretending to be snow, and we undergrads pretend that all the worlds a stage, when really, we're merely on a platform.
Scarlett and Jane ran into each other...pure coincidence!
SELINA WAS THERE? Should not have missed it yesterday....:( And she didn't even come to the meeting!
It's difficult to say about quarter-life crises...I'm sure you'll have figured it out by the time you're ready to take on something new. What happened to that plan to live in China for a year? :P
Oh, Scarlet and Jane said they planned to meet up. Selina couldn't come to the meeting because she had a group project to go to :(
Lol, that plan is still on. But I'm talking about after ... yikes.
Oh, really? What? Jane told me they bumped into each other at Queen's park...lol.
Yes. Yikes! :(
Really?!? They said they made plans to meet up at starbucks, but since it was full they went to timmies instead and that's where I ran into them.
They did...my bad. I asked Scarlett tonight. Apparently Jane was saying that they met YOU accidentally, but I misheard.