Barfday

I feel guilty because on two separate occasions tonight, Ariel and Hannah asked me what was wrong, and I either ignored them or answered nothing.


The truth is, I have this really weird, hard to describe feeling at the moment. I suspect it has something to do with my birthday. Every year, I have this tendency to not want to celebrate my birthday, but people always end up planning it for me, which is nice and sweet. I just don't like being the center of attention.

Examples of past birthdays where I didn't want to celebrate it but people planned a get together for me anyway:

1) My first birthday
I was a grumpy baby on my first birthday, I have pictures to prove my moodiness. Unfortunately for my one year old self, my parents and grandparents were especially excited for this celebration since I'm the first grandchild in the family.

2) My 17th birthday
I think it was my 17th birthday, the facts are a blur to me. I suppose I just blurred the memory in my head to suppress it. The nice thing was that Ting was with me though. Since her birthday is only a few days after mine, people combined our birthdays together and we all went out to eat/laser tag. In retrospect, this wasn't really that bad, but I've always considered my 17th birthday to have been terrible. I think it might have had something to do with my braces ...

3) That birthday I had two years ago
So two years ago, I didn't want to celebrate my birthday at all. Not sure why, I guess I was just getting out of my don't-look-at-me-I'm-in-my-hideous-rebellious-heartbroken-end-of-teenage-phase. Now that I think about it .... two years ago was my champaign birthday (champaign birthday=turning the same age as your birth day). I was extremely moody and didn't want to do anything, but it was a good thing that Amy Tang was around to save the day. She planned a surprise birthday party for me. (Thanks Amy)

4) That birthday I had last year
Amy Tang saved the day last year as well. I was actually planning on writing my essay on my birthday. Can you imagine how depressing that would have been?! Fortunately, Amy and Leo planned a surprise lunch. Hoorah. Anyway, I felt bad that Amy had to plan my birthday two years in a row so I vowed that I would plan my next birthday get together thing ....

Which would happen to be this year. But since I don't feel like celebrating my birthday again, I told Amy and Manley to NOT PLAN ANYTHING AT ALL COST since I will just postpone the celebration to April, when things are a little more sane.

Also, I've just been feeling super exhausted lately, which would probably account for my random bursts of moodiness (I'm sorry if anyone suffered because of this, but if you want to take a positive spin on this, I'm only ever moody with people I am super comfortable with, heh). I think this whole drinking lots of coffee and staying up all night writing wrong essays (refer to previous post) is taking a toll on me.

yawns.

Must sleep more... zzz

---Edit---
I forgot that I had wanted to jot down the recipe to the pasta salad I made today since Ariel is apparently super fond of pasta salads. It's super easy:

Ingredients:
1 Red/Green/Yellow pepper (depending on how you like it I guess, I think yellow is sweet and red is spicier)
Cherry Tomatoes
Extra Virgin Olive Oil
Pasta
Italian Salad dressing
1/2 an Onion

Other stuff you can dump in there:
Broccoli
Olives
(just don't add too many vegetables or else it gets tedious to eat)

Directions:
1) Chop up the vegetables.
2) Boil and cook pasta. Before the water boils, add oil and mix it up so the pasta won't stick together.
3) Drain Pasta and add a bit of the extra virgin olive oil.
4) Stir fry the vegetables a bit, unless you guys want to eat it raw. (FYI to cooking noobs: you don't have to stir fry the cherry tomatoes)
5) Mix pasta and vegetables together.
6) Add salad dressing and serve!

I think pasta salad is supposed to be served cold, but it tastes fine when it's freshly prepared.

8 responses to “Barfday

  1. Happy birthday Ann!

    Since I didn't give you your card with your gift, I think I owe you something. So, I will provide you with a helpful tip on how to avoid unwanted facebook attention on your birthday. Take off your birthday date and disable your wall during the week of your birthday, lol. Works every time, plus you get to see which friends really remember your birthday, making it extra special. lol I can't give you tips on how to avoid unwanted face to face birthday attention though. I suck at avoiding those.

    P.S.
    Mary said "Hi" to me! I'm shy! lol I don't know what to say! bahahahaha lol

  2. It's a weird relationship I have with this day. I don't want to not celebrate it but at the same time, wanting to celebrate it brings up a lot more trouble than it's worth.

  3. The pasta salad was really good!!! Thanks!

    Happy Birthday :D

  4. I didn't plan that birthday you had last year but thanks for the credit! =D

  5. :O who planned it then?!? I thought it was all your doing!

  6. oh ... but she ditched half of it grrr

  7. cuz she wanted you to have a GOOD birthday. LOL!

Leave a Reply

Followers

Archive