Suicide Alertness

I mentioned a couple of weeks ago that I was attending a suicide alertness workshop and I am proud to announce that I am officially a certified (literally, I have a certificate) suicide detector. Basically, all we did in the workshop was learn to detect the signs someone would give if they were thinking of committing suicide.

I have to admit, I was somewhat disappointed that we didn't cover things like, 'How to Stop Someone From Committing Suicide.' Instead, what they told us to do was call someone and not leave that person alone, and basically just to try and be alert of those around us who might be thinking of committing suicide.

But during the workshop, I felt like I was exhibiting more than one of the symptoms they mentioned.
Here's a list:
Care-less, Withdrawing, Moody, Alcohol/Drug Abuse, Alone, Burden, No Purpose, Escape, Desperate, Numb, Hopeless, Ashamed, Abuse, Rejection, Losses, Suicide Experience (If they have experienced someone close to them committing suicide.)

This past week alone I've
Cared less about people
Withdrew from people (I.e. try and get rid of my virtual social life)
Was extremely moody
Felt Alone
Felt like a burden (but more of a pest really)
Felt there was no purpose/escape to my moodiness
Ashamed that I did something stupid
Lost Hope at the people who I thought was close to me

See, this past week alone I've experienced more than half these symptoms. If I was someone else, I would definitely go up to me and say, "Dear Ann, you've exhibited more than half the symptoms of someone who is about to commit suicide, and my spider senses are tingling. This is serious and important. Are you planning on committing suicide?"

To which I'd answer: "Um, no. That's very presumptious of you to ask."

LESSON TO LEARN HERE PEOPLE: IT NEVER HURTS TO ASK.

That was one of the things I learned from this workshop, it's that most of the time people want to be asked if they're having suicidal thoughts, because they just want to talk about it. So if you have a friend who has been withdrawing and unwilling to talk and spending more time alone recently, talk to them and ask them if they're having any deep dark thoughts.

Also helps to try and get rid of all the sharp objects around them.

Leave a Reply

Followers