So I was checking facebook today, when I saw something very unpleasant. (See this is why I hate facebook, it always gives me bad news. One more reason to deactivate-click!) So to try and get rid of this unpleasant thing that I saw from my head, I picked up my copy of The Reason For God and continued reading where I had left off.
(This book, as indicated by the title, is about the Reasons for God. It touches somewhat on the major religions but is mostly focused on Christianity.)
This is what I read:
'There may be no greater inner agony than the loss of a relationship that we desperately want. If a mild acquaintance turns on you, condemns and criticizes you, and says she never wants to see you again, it is painful. If someone you're dating does the same thing to you, it is qualitatively more painful. But if your spouse does this to you, or if one of your parents does this to you when you're still a child, the psychological damage is infinitely worse.
We cannot fathom, however, what it would be like to lose not just spousal love or parental love that has lasted several years, but the infinite love of the Father that Jesus had from all eternity. Jesus' sufferings would have been ETERNALLY UNBEARABLE.'
It's a point to think about next time we're suffering so much. Our suffering is temporary, imagine suffering for eternity for/because of someone you love.
The Reason for God
Labels
- Deliriant O. (31)
- Happiness Challenge (30)
- That old noodle bowl (9)