Adventures with Poetry

So this year, I'm unfortunately stuck with several poetry and prose classes. My dislike for poetry has made me stay away from it as much as possible, but I guess I can't entirely avoid it. For one class, my professor's office hour happens to be at 8:30 a.m, which seems entirely unreasonable because who in their right mind would get up that early to discuss poetry.

But, because this year I decided to be a keener (better late than never), I went to see her this morning since I wanted to discuss a book she recommended us to read on the side, aside from the assigned readings. This book is 329 pages of dense reading, and after labouring through the first two chapters, I wanted her advice on what to focus on.

To which she says, "you're an English Specialist, you should be used to thinking a lot. Read the entire book."

READ THE ENTIRE BOOK? That's her advice?!?

Our meeting was very short. After she told me to read the book, I expected her to at least talk about it, but she didn't say anything else and just smiled at me. I guess I'm agitated because she assigned extra reading that she's not even going to cover in class, and she won't even discuss the book with me.

Ok, I'll stop complaining and read the book and try not to kill it. At least I won't have problems falling asleep.

Side story: as I was typing this my professor walked pass me and I freaked out. I half expected her to reprimand me for not reading the book (which I have open on the table) or ask me what I'm doing on my laptop.

2 responses to “Adventures with Poetry

  1. Haha what book is this and who is your prof?
    Actually, what English profs do you have in general this semester?

  2. Hey Lynette!!! it's the great chain of being by Lovejoy. The proff is J.M. Reibetanz.

Leave a Reply

Followers