Dangers of having a Smartphone

When I first got my blackberry, I was very wary of it because I knew about the dangerous pitfalls I would fall into. I've heard accounts from other people with smartphones who have been completely consumed by their phones, to the point where they've lost touch with all human connections (ok, I may be exaggerating a bit).


Although it took some time, I eventually became very attached to my bb, because I slowly discovered all the cool stuff I could do with it, plus it was practically attached to my hip so I couldn't help but bond with it.

Lately though, I've been discovering the downfalls of having access to my email and other social networking sites at all times. Besides the fact that it continuously drains the battery life, having email on the go makes me feel tied to an invisible string. And weird thing is that receiving continuos emails makes me want to send more emails, which in turn makes me receive more emails, and so on. It's like a vicious cycle.

Some emails are good, like keeping in touch with long distance friends (more personable than the usual 'how's life going for you' on facebook) but more often than not, I feel like I receive emails I'd rather not be getting.

So which emails are those? I get a lot of emails from work, reminding me of all the things I have to do, which is ok because it keeps me on top of things, but reading these types of emails while I'm out socializing ruins the moment. Also, I'm volunteering at Kids Now Canada, which I receive a lot of emails from as well, telling me to get my police check, sign this form and that form, come in for this session and that session. But the worst kinds of emails that makes my stomach churn are emails from my professors, because I always feel like I'm about to receive bad news.

I always feel like emails from my professors will go something like this:

Dear Student,

Due to the fact that your essay sucked so much, I'm going to fail you.

Sincerely,
Professor Horror

When in reality, emails from my professor are to remind me of an impending essay I have to do (still bad news, but not as bad).

Anyway, classes start next week for me. I want to get it over with because right now, it feels like a bandage I just have to yank off and get the pain over with. That last week before classes start always stretches on and on, and it's hard to enjoy when you can't stop thinking about the fact that your life for the next eight months (or more) will be full of stress.

Ce la vie...

Oh and I had this seriously random dream the other night where I was drinking purple drank. In my dream, after drinking large amounts of purple drank, I became so nonchalant and unmotivated for life that I just lay limply there and missed work, hence getting fired. Man, I wonder what Freud would say about this.

Leave a Reply

Followers