I was cruising along on my mom's bike (which unfortunately had flat tires) since biking is a lot easier than jogging, in the park today when I spotted Asian grandparents with their grandchild feeding the ducks in the park and taking turns to push their grandchild on the swing. Even though I was out of breath and sweating buckets (biking with flat tires is super tiring), I couldn't help but stop and smile at them.
This reminded me of my own grandparents, and more specifically, my grandma whom I call 'Ama.' When I was a kid, my grandma lied to me and said she used to be a doctor turned actress turned teacher turned full time housewife, which is why I've always had the impression that she was this superwoman who could conquer and do anything. When we got older, my sister and I realized that it was impossible she could have been a doctor-actress-teacher (especially since we've never seen her on t.v.) and felt hugely disappointed.
My grandma is still super cool though. I don't exactly know where she was born, it was either in China or Philippines, but either way, she grew up in Philippines from when she was young. She's the oldest daughter out of ten kids, and back then when selling your kids was a lucrative business, she would hold on tightly to her favourite younger siblings so my great grandma couldn't sell them. This sounds like a hideous thing to do, but this was back in the 40's. It was only when she was in her 40's that she was reunited with her 4 other sisters who lives in China.
My grandma met my grandpa in elementary school. He would sit behind her and kick her chair in class, and she was extremely annoyed with him. Later on, after high school, she started going out with another guy but my grandpa kept pestering her. Eventually, she chose my grandpa over the other guy and to this day she still says, "I should have chosen the other guy." Come to think of it, this seems to be a running curse in my family. Both my mom and my grandma often says "I should have chosen the other guy," which is funny, but there's some truth to it. My grandma and my mom are the oldest daughters in their family, so being the oldest of the oldest, I hope I don't fall into this pattern.
Anyway, growing up I was extremely spoiled by my grandma to the point where I felt guilty every time she bought me something, I tried to give it away. My mom's youngest brother was only around 16 when I was born, and he was used to being the baby in the family. When I moved in with my grandparents, he felt neglected and often complained that I got more toys than he ever did so my grandma bought him ten hot wheels to make him feel better. But anyway, I would always sneak into his room and steal his toys.
Oh, and it was my grandma who introduced me to Archie comics! Instead of your usual bedtime stories, she would pull out an Archie comic and she would read it to me every night. She would be like, "One day you'll be old enough to read Archie comics by yourself." And that was why, when I was a little kid, my only goal in life was to be able to someday read an Archie comic book by myself. I'm proud to say that this is one life goal that I have actually accomplished.
Ok, ending this post with a few random facts about my awesome grandma:
1) She is a master at mahjong.
2) She is addicted to nail polish like me.
3) When she was younger, she really did look like an actress. A lot of guys were after her apparently.
4) She is an awesome cook. (But seriously, which grandma isn't an awesome cook?)
5) She likes to meddle into other people's business.
Also, this is completely off topic, but I really want to attend and ISA concert T.T If only they were having one in Canada.