During small group this week, Tabitha brought up how Johnny posted WongFu Production's new short, "Strangers Again" on fb. Amy Tang and I both agreed that this was the best short they've done in a while, and we agreed that everything about it was pretty much perfect, so I was surprised that no one else liked it.
The general consensus was that it was depressing, which I suppose it is in some ways, but for me the short was the perfect portrayal of how a relationship usually goes. You either get married or break up. I think this is because I have a more realistic/cynic view of relationships, which I've probably developed over the past few years. In my last post, I mentioned how I haven't had a crush on anyone recently (the last crush I had was 8 years ago). I do get mini one-day infatuations on people, but that's hardly a full blown crush where all you do is think and day dream about that person (going out with someone is not a crush, it's a relationship).
I don't think this means I'm secretly a cold hearted person on the inside, I think it just means I know how to turn my feelings off. I remember explaining this to Amy Tang one day, and she like, "how do you just turn your feelings off? You can't help liking someone." That's not how I see it though, to me, I always have to make a mental decision to either like someone or not, and usually, I have too many reasons not to like someone. Not because I'm picky, it's usually because someone else will benefit from my not crushing on a certain someone. Don't ask, crushes are complicated.
Anyway, so the reason why I'm writing about this is because Ariel mentioned that she was in the process of writing a somewhat depressing blog post, and since I was in the mood to be moody, I decided to write something depressing as well, although I don't know if I've managed to depress you guys at all. I don't really have anything depressing to write about since I haven't been depressed lately, and now that I think about it, it's really weird how I want to be depressed so I can write about something depressing.
Ever think of what Paul did when he was depressed? I think Paul's theme song for his life would be 'Trading my Sorrows.' When he's pressed, crushed, persecuted and struck down, he just said "Yes, Lord." He traded his sorrow and shame for the joy of the Lord, although he probably had to overcome some difficult, personal emotional struggles to do so.
And I guess that's why I thought Strangers Again is such a good short. Although Josh was growing increasingly unsatisfied with the relationship, it would have been easy for him to stay in that comfortable dead zone. Instead, he overcame his personal, emotional struggles and broke up with Marissa since in the long run, it would make her happier.
---edit---
It just occurred to me that the moral of this post would to crush responsibly.
how does anyone not like this short?!
I guess people who like happy endings don't like the short lol. Amy! I miss you blog posts, you have to blog again :(
We DID like it... but it just hurt a bit... lol especially if you can kinda relate.
Actually, I was very happy because I can relate to it a lot. It didn't hurt.
Hey I heard you aren't going to be there on Wednesday! Why!??