In class today I sat near this weird guy. He’s shaggy looking: he has long hair tied back in a ponytail and has a beard. After our in class essay today my friend had to leave early (I should have too) so I was left sitting there by myself like the loner that I am, when suddenly this guy starts pointing to this star of David that he has drawn out on our exam test paper.
“See, people would think this is just a Star of David.” He says, holding the paper up to my face and points to it with his pen. Then he colors in the inside. “But actually this represents Solomon (or did he say Sodomy) because of the hexagon inside. A lot of people don’t know that.”
Just to be polite, I say, “Uh, yeah. I didn’t know that either.”
Then he takes out his Norton Anthology of English Literature, Volume B that we need for class, and opens it on pp. 1571 where it talks about Francis Bacon and The New Atlantis. “See, this book is amazing.” He says fondly while caressing the spine of the book (Ok so maybe I’m just adding this detail in myself but he was really fond of the book, I could tell by how worn out it was.) This gets my attention because I’m rather fond of my anthology as well. “You have to read this because it’s amazing.”
To that I respond: “Wow I can’t believe you read that because we don’t even have too for -”
“This talks exactly about what’s going on in our generation and how:
(At this point he begins to talk for ten minutes straight, of which I don’t interrupt like he did to me. But this is exactly what he blabbed about:)
-Canadian culture and how different from American culture.
-How we’re all addicted to these little gadgets we have (He looks at my cell phone of which I was just going to use to text Leo about this weird guy I met in class)
-Aliens
-The media and how corrupt it is and how all the sex in the media is affecting the children
-GM foods (Reminded me of a project Manley and I did together in high school)
-Fashion as evil and promisccuity
Crazy as he is, this guy has brought up some good points, minus the Aliens and Fashion as Evil. I don’t really have a point in mentioning him except that he got me thinking about a lot of things I haven’t thought of in a while. I guess that’s what happens when you read too much literature.
As stupid as this sounds, it’s good to think about where you’re at sometimes and think about whether you’re being a pod or not.