For the past year, once a month Tabitha and I would help out
with the Children’s ministry at church by being teachers for one of the kids
group.
It started out fun and aloof, we’d be there to entertain the
kids and babysit them, sing with them, feed them too much sugar, tell them a
Bible story.
But then it got serious.
How?
First, we started praying for the kids. Praying started out
casual, at first it’d be something like, “Dear God, I hope the kids memorize
their Bible verses this week,” or “I pray that they would listen and be so
hyper.” But then prayer does a weird thing, because the more you pray, the more
you start to care. So it became less about the their behavior and slowly became
more about their families, loving God, and soon, about preserving the kids in
the church as they grow up. How did that happen! They went from being once a
month type serving to something I think about almost everyday, it’s like they
slowly buried themselves in my brain and heart.
Second, I realized it is more than just babysitting and that
my attitude towards it was all wrong. If I just look at it as just babysitting,
it doesn’t really help anyone at all. Shirley pointed out to us that this is
more than just babysitting, but it’s a type of attitude and mentorship that
we’re providing for the kids. And it’s true because these kids really do look
up to us. It’s scary sometimes, realizing that when they grow up, they might
either look back at my time with them as an agonizing memory or something that
really helped them love the Lord more. In a way, we’re serving as an example of
someone who loves God and what it is to serve God.
Also, parents care a lot about who is influencing their
children. They are the ones who
appreciate your serving more than the children because they understand and
worry about the type influences that their children are surrounded by. So in
the end, you’re also helping out their family.
Third, it is more than just a Bible story. A story is just a
story, you can tell them about Jesus healing a blind man and whether they take
something away from it is up in the air. After a while I realized that Jesus is
not just a story, he’s a friend and someone I would want these kids to be
friends with as well.
Moral: There is no such thing as serving lightly. If you’re serving God, you’re either all in or all out.
Also, I’m very, very, very thankful I am serving with
Tabitha! She’s taught me a lot about patience and I learn a lot just by
observing her interactions with them. If I weren’t serving with Tabitha, I
would have quit a long time ago. It also helps that Tabitha and I care about
this because we’re able to pray about it together and have the same burden.