The Real Stuff #2: Trial


Last week I said goodbye to one of my students, Moss.

Moss is also a Christian who plays the drums for his church and is happy to tell anyone of his faith, which is why I decided to write a verse on the goodbye card I gave him.

Problem was, I didn’t have a verse in mind.

I wish I had that uncanny gift of being able to come up with a verse on the spot that would be suitable for any occasion. Uninterestingly enough, my chief interest with the Bible lies with the Old Testament and all the glory of war, famine, suffering, and insufficient kings that comes with it. Psalms and Proverbs would definitely have verses for all occasions, but poetry and I repel each other.

So this is why I couldn’t come up with a verse to write in the goodbye card.

Thankfully, I have a Bible app. on my trusty ipad, so all I had to do was type in a key word to search. After much contemplation, I decided that Moss will most likely have a long suffering existence as a super Korean student, so I looked for a verse on trials.

This is what I found:

James 1:12
Blessed is the man who remains steadfast under trial, for when he has stood the test he will receive the crown of life, which God has promised to those who love him.

After I gave him the card, I looked back on the verse and wondered why I picked it since it didn’t fit the “Good Luck In the Future!” context.

I think what I meant by the verse was: Your troubles will never be over, but if you’re steadfast in your faith through trials you will receive God’s promise of life which I don’t Moss got.

Anyway, moral of the story: I should probably read the New Testament.

Leave a Reply

Followers