Inspired by my good, but gullible (jks), friend Eddie, I will blog everyday for
the next 31 days. But on what topic?
This year with Aaron getting sick, my parent’s divorce,
Charlie being born, and Pedro moving in with us, my mom decided to put up a
Christmas tree.
My family has an on and off again relationship with
Christmas. We stopped celebrating Christmas when we grew up since Christmas has
always been about getting new toys. Besides that, my parent’s church always
condemned the holiday, preaching that it was wordly and borderline sinful to
celebrate.
This year our Christmas tree is real, as in a real tree that
once had its roots in the soil, rather than the fake plastic Christmas tree we
use to have. This tree sheds and makes a mess, but it smells good; deep down
we’re hoping Charlie doesn’t start peeing underneath it.
So maybe that will be the topic of my blog posts for the
next 31 days: The real Christmas and the real Christian.
I almost feel like Winston Smith in Orwell’s 1984. In the
dystopian novel, writing your own thoughts can book you time in jail. When
Winston began to write his own thoughts in a journal he bought, he knew he was
basically sentencing himself with the Thought Police. He wrote anyway, in sheer
panic, realizing later why he did it: because his thoughts are the real him.
I can relate to Winston because I feel like I never write
about the real me in this blog. I avoid the topic of Christianity as much as
possible and refer to it in passing since I am too well aware and conscious of
my non-Christian friends reading this. Not verbalizing this part of my life to
my friends is causing too much of a gap between us.
So here goes:
Today is Sunday, which has been my favourite day of the week
for the past year because Sunday means going to church.
To me, going to church is vital to my sanity. It’s a time to
recap, be reminded of what the important things in life are, and be reminded of
what the point of what I do is. It is also a time to rejoice.
Anyway, so today, after much coaxing on my part, Eddie and
Johnny finally struck up a conversation with this new guy just as we were about
to leave (their conversation ended up with a ping-pong tournament).
Max, the new guy, asked what was so good about this church,
since he noticed that a lot of people who attended do not live in the direct neighbourhood.
He’s like, “the message is good and the food is good. What makes this place so
good?”
Although it sounds like he answered his own question, I think
he was looking for a better answer.
So I answered him in my head, “nothing we’ve done makes us
good. If the food is good, it is because God made the company you ate the food
with good. If the message is good, it is because God wanted us to be reminded
of his love and the Spirit was working with that brother. If you find us giving
you hospitality, being a good neighbour, inviting you to join us for other
meetings, it’s because we love God and want to spend time with Him.”
Maybe I’ll voice out my answer next time.
yayyy for real stuff!! ^^ ... booo to being called gullible -___-