Tonight I wasn’t planning on going anywhere after work, but
I was starving and let my stomach dictated my actions.
I ended up having dinner with John, Ariel, and Hannah. On the lonely bus ride home afterwards, I mused on my friendships them.
The story of how I
met Hannah:
I don’t remember meeting Hannah, I just remember her
appearing and knowing she was Hannah. It wasn’t until my second year when I was
put in Hannah’s small group in LH that I remember talking to Hannah. At this
time, I was moody and angry all the time, which made sense when Hannah later on
told me that I use to always have a scowl on my face.
I also later on found out why I was in Hannah’s small group,
which was because Hannah said she and I were close friends. When Hannah told me
this, my reaction was, “What? We’re close?”
Which was very mean to say, but like I said, I was very
moody and angry all the time. Later on I appreciated this because if it wasn’t
for Hannah’s (and other people from LH) friendship I would still be angry and
moody all the time. Hannah use to remind me that when she first met
me, she just knew we were going to be good friends. I use to doubt it, but now
I agree.
The story of how I
met Ariel:
One night I went in the kitchen at Cecil and found Ariel
washing cups. This was in first year. I was trying to be polite and so I struck
up conversation and said, “Thanks for washing the cups.”
Ariel replies, “Its because we’re part of the same church.”
Her simple reply left me very impressed, so the week after
when I went back to LH, I looked for Ariel.
But Ariel was gone and I didn’t see
her for another year even though she lived at Cecil. I was determined that when we met up again, we would be
friends.
The really short
version of how I met John:
John was always around but I never talked to him because I
thought he was old and was always causing trouble. At that time, it was also
taboo to talk to guys at church. In high school, he became friends with my best
friend and that’s how we started talking. The first thing he said to me was,
“How come you don’t have any guy friends?”
Which was mean because I was only following the rules of not
talking to guys
So John became my first real guy friend.
Being friends with Christians is different, and not
different in a sense that all we ever do when we get together is talk about
God. Although it’s a healthy to have discussions about God, it is also
important to be friends on a social level.
And even though we’re all completely different, we’re willing
to put up with each other; we sit and listen when the other person is talking
about something we could care less about, like the time Hannah couldn’t stop
talking about Green Lantern.
I also recently realized that praying for each other helps
the friendship, because when you pray for each other, it feels like you are
sharing their burden with them. Rather than just complaining to each other and
feeling hopeless, we pray and put our hopes on God to solve.
AHAHAHA! I love you! From the moment I saw you, and despite your sad expression, I knew...
Also, it was Rhema who thought we were close, so she decided to put us in the same small group, the one we dubbed to be the best small group of all time.
I had to delete my first comment, because I made a grammatical error. Thank you for always putting up with me. :D