The Real Stuff #11: Jesus Antenna


Ok so I failed. I can't post everyday even though I don't have a real job or go to school anymore. I'm just ... too busy being not busy.

So I've recently amped up my job searching process, and by amp up I mean actually apply for jobs. For a while I had a couple of interviews that failed and led to nowhere, which made me extremely lethargic and give up on the whole thing. Last week, after checking my bank account and wallowing at the lack of funds, I decided to stop feeling sorry for myself and apply for something. 

Job searching is like buying a house. You just know when you've found the perfect house because you have that intuitive feeling that you belong there. It's the same thing with a job, although it's technically the company who's hiring. For the past few interviews, I didn't get the feeling that I belonged or that it was the right place for me. 

Actually, instead of calling it an intuitive feeling, I'm just going to call it my Jesus Antenna. 

Example One:
My interview for Cabbagetown Youth Centre. 

On paper it seemed like the perfect job, and when I got there it seemed like the perfect location (this was before the shooting at Cabbagetown). After the interview though, I left feeling like left out. I knew then that I wouldn't get it, although I prayed I would. For lack of better words, my Jesus Antenna told me there was something better out there. 

Example Two: 
My interview at English School of Canada.

Ok, this would have been the perfect job. If I had gotten it, I would be a tour guide for foreign exchange students, taking them on excursions to the mall, outdoor attractions in Toronto, overnight trips  to the States ....

But during the interview my Jesus Antenna told me I wouldn't get the job. And I didn't. Also, I knew that if I had gotten this job, I wouldn't have time on the weekends for Bible studies and church on Sunday. 

So these are the two examples of when my Jesus Antenna told me I wouldn't get the job. Here's a couple of examples where I felt otherwise:

Example One:
ELC

This job landed on my lap with such ease that I'm 100% sure it was God given. Nothing else could have helped me get this position. This was the perfect place for me to grow and move on from Sears, plus, it gave me the experience needed for my Teacher's College applications. My Jesus Antenna told me I would fit right in with this one.

Example Two: 
Sears

Yes, I complain and remind myself (and everyone else) that this was the worst place to ever work at. And it is. But my 3 2/3 years of working here wasn't all wasted, because it gave me enough customer service experience to boast about on my resume.

PLUS I have a cool story for how I got this job:

I went to Sears to get their application, but I kept on putting off handing it in for months and months. Eventually, I felt so guilty about it that I filled it in and stapled my resume with it, but I still never gave it in. 

One day my Jesus Antenna went up and felt that it was the right time to to hand my resume in. 

So I went in Sears and gave in my application. The lady at the counter looked at it and said, "Perfect! We're looking for someone right at this moment actually, are you available for an interview tomorrow?" 

As it turned out, the week before someone had just quit and I gave my resume in at the right time just when they were hiring. And I got the job. 

Anyway, all in all, I trust my Jesus Antenna 100% because it has led me to amazing things and led me away from crappy situations (my Jesus Antenna doesn't only work on jobs, it works on other situations as well). 

I wrote this post because I actually have an interview tomorrow. Although I would like this job, I really just have to see what it would be like after the interview. I've been qualified for all the interviews I've had, and I'm qualified for my interview tomorrow as well, so it's really just a matter of trusting Jesus and seeing if this is the right place for me to be. 

On that note, Monday is my pray for myself day. I hope you guys will join me and pray for me :P 

Leave a Reply

Followers