Saying Goodbye and Family Vacations

Originally I had this grand blogging scheme where I would publish three of my saved draft post in one night. I brewed my cup of coffee and sat in front of the my laptop to start writing, but then I got distracted by weird, random problems people have that I shouldn't be butting in but am anyway. I also got distracted by Matthew's hermit crabs, which he bought on a whim today. Their names are George and Martha, and no, Martha is not a girl. So instead of publishing three posts I decided to cram it all into one giant post.


Last Friday was my last day at Sears. On Saturday, I had my leaving interview which left me with mixed feelings. I'm not very good with goodbyes because they involve a lot of hugging, which I'm not used to, but after hugging everyone goodbye and hearing their well wishes, I started getting teary eyed. I've worked at Sears for 3 and 1/3 of a year, and during that time I unconsciously grew attached to everyone (how could you not when you're constantly complaining about the same things?).

I'm going to miss my Sears family more than my discount. As I waited for the bus after my leaving interview, I pulled out the card they gave me and almost started crying after reading it. They didn't write anything special, just the usual, "Good Luck at U of T!" and "We wish you the best!" and "You were great to work with! Thanks for covering my breaks!" But seeing their handwriting made me realize that I'm never going to hear stories about their grandkids and relatives and friends and just life in general ever again, which made me sad.

I'm getting tired of saying goodbyes. I find it interesting how I'm saying goodbye to a lot of people just as a lot of new things are happening. Saying bye to Lynette and Jessie wasn't that bad at first, but after dwelling on the impact they had in my life, their friendship and what they've contributed as sisters to LH, I gradually grew sadder. But it's ok, it's not like I'm never going to see them again.

Anyway, so my mom got this brilliant idea several weeks ago to take a family vacation to Ottawa/Montreal. I've managed to avoid family vacations in the past due to the fact that I always had work on the weekends and had other obligations, but this year I've run out of excuses. I guess it's good for me to go on a trip with my entire family though, since I haven't been spending time with them lately.

But it's just that, a family vacation sounds extremely daunting. I can already imagine what it'd be like to be stuck in a car ride with my entire family for five hours: my mom is going to change her mind a million times, Annabelle is going to lecture Matt and Aaron, I'm going to side with Matt and Aaron and disagree with Annabelle, Aaron is going to say something dumb and we're going to yell at him, my mom's going to complain about her headache, Matt is going to talk about his hermit crabs...

My mom is very excited though. She's been emailing us and texting us to remind us that we're going on a FAMILY TRIP even though we live in the same house and she could just very well just yell it out loud for everyone to hear. She suggested I research the night life in Montreal and take my brothers out for drinks. I was very annoyed by this suggestion because 1) It implied that my mom is a lot cooler than I am, 2) she's acting very irresponsible because Aaron just barely turned 17, and 3) I don't want too.

Thankfully, it's only for three days. I'll try and make the best out of it and have some serious sibling bonding moments (outside of a bar).

Ok so that seems to be it for my giant post, I realized that I can't jam everything into one post because then it'd be incoherent. I'll have to post about Love and expectations later.

7 responses to “Saying Goodbye and Family Vacations

  1. Your mom sounds pretty cute..haha.

  2. Haha thanks Ariel. She's ok. A lot of people mistake her for my sister.

  3. I can't wait for the love and expectations post. I have a feeling that it'll stir up another storm, so exciting!

  4. Hurricane Irene already hit mine.

  5. This comment has been removed by the author.
  6. Lol colin. I was really confused with your comment and then I understood what you meant when I remembered what happened to your most recent post

  7. Great I can't wait for your responses on the expectations post ..

    The Love post is just a lecture on the importance of loving people.

Leave a Reply

Followers