Dating 101 for Guys

Today I was baking brownies for Annabelle to give to her co-workers and Rolando, the custodian at the Multi Faith Centre, when, as I was cooling it, Aaron ate a piece of it. But aside from that, the brownies were a fail.


My failed brownies reminded me of John. Actually, a lot of fails reminds me of John, but not in a bad way. John always wants people to do their best, and to be attentive to what they're doing, and I realized upon evaluation that the sad, deflated brownies were probably a result of my lack of attention to details.

Not to be defeated by the fact that I probably did not inherit any of my mom's baking skills, I made a new batch when I got home, and this time it turned out better. So thanks John, your constant berating does have its merits!

Ok so on with the dating tips the title of this blog alluded to:

Tired of bad dates? Need ideas of where to go? Want to impress a girl? Fret not, because I'm here to tell you about the perfect date spot!

So let's say you finally had the guts to ask that girl out, and you can't think of a place to take her because, well frankly, it's your first date and you don't know her very well. Let's review some of the very basic things about girls that you probably know already:

1) Girls love chocolate

2) Girls love candles

3) Girls love cute things

4) Girls love purple

Fortunately, there's a place in Yorkville with all of the above. MoRoCo is a chocolatier that serves chocolate, has romantic patio candles, has a lot of cute things and is purple themed.

Seriously guys, this place is the perfect first date. It's kind of hidden and secluded, which makes it feel intimate, and some of the furniture is very princess-esque. Unfortunately, when I went there tonight I noticed that not enough guys were taking advantage of this perfect woo-ing spot (so I decided to write this. You can thank me after).

But be warned: you can't let the atmosphere of this place do all the work. You have to come prepared and armed with chocolate knowledge. As I already mentioned, girls love chocolate, so before going to a chocolatier, do a bit of research on the different types of chocolates as well so she won't feel like she's talking to herself when she's trying to decide what to order (I recommend looking at their menu online).

Also, just because you take her out to a perfect restaurant doesn't mean that it's the only thing you should do on the date. Try and stroll around Yorkville, or Google map the area before going on the date and try and find something else you guys can do afterwards. The key is to plan ahead and take the lead.

---
p.s.
Hope you guys don't get any weird ideas as to why I wrote this. It's just that whenever I find myself somewhere fancy I take a mental note of it to tell someone to take their date there because no one likes bad dates. Also, I use to write floofy love stories where I make the characters go to fancy restaurants and fall in love ... plus I've been watching too many episodes of We Got Married -_-

10 responses to “Dating 101 for Guys”

  1. Ah...the power of We Got Married (too much Khuntoria, perhaps?)

    I was thinking of blogging about the same topic (first dates)! But it would be completely different...haha.

  2. LOL Khuntoria is super cheesy and romantic. I miss Kwonnie and GaIn!!

    I'd love to hear your take on first dates!! Haha. I have a few more theories of my own on this topic :P

  3. Ya...I miss the Adam couple too. They were the funniest ones on the show (besides Hyun Joong and Hwang Bo).

    I guess I have a new topic to blog about now!

  4. I think one of the guys should write a "dating 101 for girls" on first dates. And then let's see what happens. (It WILL be taken the wrong way and offend a lot of people)

  5. I'm looking forward to these seminar blog posts from Ann and Ariel..

  6. @Johnny's comment. I'll get right on it.

  7. I'm not a dude and I don't completely agree with this post. For me, chocolate gets a yes but I've had better chocolate at cheaper places. Candles: maybe. Cute things: please no (classy/artsy/stylish things: yes). Purple things: I thought MoRoCo was pink inside and green outside? I dislike pink.
    Flowers for me get a yes, except dark red roses.
    MoRoCo was overpriced IMO and the atmosphere felt a bit artificially conjured. There was no spontaneity and I left hungry. But then I'm always hungry.
    I think dates where the main event is spending money are overrated. But I'm biased since I'm a broke student.

  8. Unconventional first dates which I think sound pretty good:
    - Volunteering at the local foodbank
    - Krav maga combative striking class
    - Visit to the flea/farmers market accompanied by homey, affordable, generously portioned brunch
    - Rock climbing
    - Kayaking in Lake Ontario or Humber River
    - Cooking together and then eating together. Flowers, candles and whatnot can be involved
    - Indie folky concert/ballet/TSO
    - Biking on a long trail in the city: the Leslie one, Don River one or the one by Woodbine beach
    - Taking a cooking lesson, like how to cure meat, make ravioli from scratch, etc.
    - Some kind of gardening/farming activity just outside the city

    I wouldn't mind Ariel's suggestion of a bookstore.

    Studies have shown that constructive or artsy activities are more feel good than consumptive ones. Working out counts as constructive IMO. I read a Time article recently and it says people end up happier when they experience things (like while traveling) than when they buy things.

  9. I actually like all of Heng's ideas, other than the Krav Maga one...I'm not sure how I would feel knowing that my date was trying to throw a girl/random person off his back.

  10. Woah, I didn't even realize there was a conversation going on here. So THIS is where Colin's post originated from -__- Ariel's idea of going to a book store is by far the most romantic thing I've heard. Heng you have a lot of interesting ideas, gardening would definitely be an original first date, although rock climbing is not a good idea because there's potential for a lot of touching involved.

Leave a Reply

Followers