Strength, Grace and Mercy

Dear Blog,


Today was a really random Sunday.

It all begun on Friday, when I went to the CityYouth conference in the evening and was inspired by Michael's sharing. He said that while he was waiting for the bus that morning, he prayed that it'd come sooner so he wouldn't be late for the conference. Then he mentioned something about seeing a kid and his father holding hands, and how we should be like the kid, just letting God guide us. Anyway, that was the gist of his sharing, maybe those of you who also heard it can fill in the gap of what else he said in the comments.

So today, I woke up bright and early for a Sunday and got ready to go to the church on Sheppard, since I promised Tabs that I would be there. Just as I finished getting ready, my mom and dad whipped me into the car and off we went to their church, which I'm used to by now so I held my tongue and didn't say anything.

When we arrived, I told my mom that as soon as we broke bread I was going, and for some reason, she was ok with it. My plan had been to hitchhike on a bus (which really isn't hitchhiking) and dash off to the church on Sheppard in time for the 11 a.m. meeting.

So I waited, and waited, and waited for the bus for at least half an hour. I felt silly standing there, and at one point even contemplated going back inside seeing as it wasn't meant to be. It was already 11 and the meeting had begun, but for some reason I decided to be stubborn and kept standing there. Then, I begun to pray, having suddenly remembered Michael's testimony.

I was like, "Lord, even if I get there at 11:45, please make the bus come soon. I just really, really want to go to the meeting. Also, I promise to listen to you more from now on."

Suddenly, to my surprise, the bus arrived! And to top it off, I asked the bus driver if the bus was going to York Mills Station (which was the closes station) but he said that the bus was headed to Bayview station instead, which is within walking distance to the meeting hall.

I was so happy that I spent the entire bus ride talking to God about whatever, like the stuff that I'm stressed about and is giving me anxiety. Coincidentally, the message that morning was also on prayer. Prayer is one of those ambiguous things that I tend to brush aside, since I feel like I can rely more on my own capability. Sometimes I need to be reminded that the things that I am worried and anxious about really isn't worth anything in hindsight, and that God has bigger plans.

And I ended up getting there at 11:25-ish. I snuck behind Tabs and scared her.

Ok so the reason today was a really random Sunday is also because right after the meeting, I headed off to have lunch with the other teachers at ELC. I was expecting to go to some random Korean restaurant since North York Center Station is in the midst of Korea town, but to my surprise, Jason, my boss, drove us to his house instead, which coincidentally enough, is close to where I live.

Oh and there are five teachers who came for lunch, including myself. Everyone else teaches Math and Science, but I'm the only English teacher which is why I felt like an alien. Jokes, not really, but I still find it interesting how I ended up being the only English teacher. All the other teachers are cool, they're all surprisingly older than I am except Fatima, who happens to be a fan of The Game of Thrones so we spent a good amount of time discussing the series.

So we went to Jason's house and his wife served us awesome homemade Korean food. (By the way, homemade Kimchi tastes totally different from store bought Kimchi. It's a bit bitter and a lot more spicy.) Lunch was interesting, and more interesting still, we went bowling after lunch. By this time, I just kept thinking of how much cooler this job is than my retail job, and how completely random it is that I am bowling with my coworkers.

Anyway, I think my point is that today I have learned that I truly cannot rely on my own abilities, because I am forgetful and emotional, which always gets in the way. Instead, I have to rely on God to provide me with opportunities according to what he has planned for me, a.k.a my teaching job, and learn to trust and have faith on him more, a.k.a getting to the meeting somewhat on time this morning. To rely on his strength, his grace and mercy is a constant lesson I am forever learning, and thankfully, God is patient enough to bear with me.

Leave a Reply

Followers