Honorifics and Free Tuesdays

I went out for bubble tea with my siblings, cousins and Joash tonight (Joash is my uncle who's one year younger than I am) and to my horror, I realized my cousins have started calling me Ann.

Ok before you start thinking, "uh, isn't that your name?" I have explain that no one I'm related to, who's younger than I am, has ever called me by my first name. Ever. They always call me "Atchi Ann-Ann" which means "older sister."

We were playing cards, and Michelle, my cousin from Vancouver, said, "your turn Ann."

When I heard that I was like, dude, when did this happen!?! You're not supposed to call me by my first name!

Am I just really old fashioned? This just sounds really foreign to me even though I'm completely white washed. It's like calling your parents by their first name. I'm always careful what I call people in my family when they're older than I am, since I don't want to offend anyone.

Anyway, this is just a weird pet peeve of mine. I just think calling someone older than you by their first name is disrespectful, that's why at church I always try and say "sister so and so" and brother so and so" unless I am close with them.

Moving on:
Today, I went to the ROM to do research for my seminar class. Rumor had it that students get in for free on Tuesdays but I didn't believe it, since that'd be too good to be true. But as it turns out, students DO get in free on Tuesdays! I am so impressed. I roamed around the first floor, where the Chinese, Korean and Japanese exhibit is, being all impressed by the history. I was tempted on looking at everything, I especially wanted to check out the African exhibit, but I had to remind myself that I was there to do research. Damn. You guys know where to find me on Tuesdays from now on. :D

Seriously, the ROM is so cool, you guys have to come with me sometime. IT'S FREE!

Leave a Reply

Followers