When no one is home I usually blast the radio in my room and have a party. Really, there's nothing better than drinking coffee and reading a book with loud music in the background. Today I found myself singing along to "Scream & Shout" by will i am and Britney (can someone tell me what accent Britney is trying to immitate in that song? It's like the British accent mixed with something she just made up) when I suddenly wondered why I was in such a good mood.
In fact, I've been in a good mood since last week, even though I've had some dissapointing news.
Then I realized it's because I've been reading What's So Amazing About Grace by Philip Yancey. I started reading this book last year for GST and for some reason put it down. I re-read it from the beginning and am just so amazed by what grace is.
Grace is not being able to give anything in return to someone who has done something for you; grace is a gift, you don't choose to receive it, it's Christianity's best gift to the world; grace is realizing, "I am the one Jesus loves". Grace cannot be reproduced by the world, and it's the one thing it craves.
One thing that I've been impressed by is that I should put my identity in Christ, the one who loves me.
Lately, I've wondering what my identity is. I'm not a student, I'm not working full time, and I'm not really anything because I'm in career limbo.
So what's my primary identity in life?
In the Bible, John is a disciple, he's an evangelist, an apostle, and an author of one of the four gospels, but when asked to identify himself, he simply said, "I am the one Jesus loves."
Mind blown!
What would it be like if we all walked around where we came to realization that our primary identity in life as, "the one Jesus loves"? How differently would we see ourselves? How differently would we make our decisions?
It's like the looking-glass theory: You become what the most important person in your thinks you are.
Double mind blown!
No wonder I'm in a good mood. It'd be messed up if I was in a bad mood after realizing again that I am the one Jesus loves. I'm going to print this out and tack it on my wall.
O momentary grace of mortal men,
Which we more hunt for than the grace of God.
-Shakespeare, Richard III
The Real Stuff #22: Loved One
Labels
- Deliriant O. (31)
- Happiness Challenge (30)
- That old noodle bowl (9)
Followers
Archive
-
▼
2013
(38)
-
▼
January
(10)
- The Real Stuff #22: Loved One
- The Real Stuff #21: Family and Other Things
- The Real Stuff #20: What are You Sowing?
- The Real Stuff #19: What is Religion?
- The Real Stuff #18: Running on Empty
- The Real Stuff #17: How to Get Along With Your Sister
- The Real Stuff #16: Lonely
- The Real Stuff #15: Little Miracles
- The Real Stuff #16: Canonical Babblings
- The Real Stuff # 14: New Year's Resolution(s)
-
▼
January
(10)
Hey! I'm stalking you. :P Your blog is very entertaining. You're a great writer. I also went through a quarter life crisis. I read this book called 'Life After College' by Jenny Blake. It helped me figure out what I want out of life and where I'm going. Everyone deals with it in their own way. Thanks for coming to church with me! I'm definitely going back. Don't forget to send me your short story.
Lurve,
Kirsten