The Most Anticlimactic Moment of My Life

I generally hate facebook, but the one time last week that I casually browsed fb on my phone I noticed that a couple of people were experiencing that, "I can't believe it's finally happening! I'm graduating!" feeling. 

I wish I felt the way they did.

I'm convocating next month and I've been feeling constantly let down by the anticlimactic way it's been going. After all the hard work I've put into my degree, I expected a little bit more oomp and sadness on the university's part on letting me go. 

This is the way it's suppose to be:
Me: The day has finally arrived! I'm going to graduate! Here I go ... clicking the button on ROSI to graduate -

ROSI: Are you sure you want to do this? After four years of being together, you're ending it this way?

Me: Well ...

ROSI: See, you're having second thoughts about this! Don't leave, I'll be so lonely without you. And you're nothing without me.

Me: Sorry ROSI, I have to be set free. The world's my oyster kinda thing. Goodbye! 

ROSI: :'( 

Instead, this is what happened:
Me: The day has finally arrived! I'm going to graduate! Here I go ... clicking the button on ROSI to graduate -

ROSI: ....

Me: Going to actually click ... you can't stop me.

ROSI: ....

Me: :'( 

Seriously. I wish that when you click the graduating button on ROSI something magical would actually happen, like flying unicorns pooping out rainbows that tasted like apples and dinosaurs dancing gangnam style with peanut butter would suddenly appear and the world would be happy for me. But no. Nothing like that happened. Instead, I felt like I was pushed off the cliff at the tip of this extremely disappointing fail of what was suppose to be the most climactic moment of my early 20's.

But there's another part of this graduation story.

After applying to graduate, I asked the oh-so-helpful (NOT) registrar at Woodsworth College to book an appointment for me to see a counselor and look over my courses, in case I missed anything and needed to fix it. I expected them to be helpful at easing my mind about this, but instead they shunned me and told me to wait for an email in OCTOBER (a month before convocation!) if I wasn't able to graduate.

I will interrupt this blog post to write an ode to Woodsworth (in free verse):
Woodsworth, oh Woodsworth,
The worst college on campus
(Next to snobby Trinity),
You have been a thorn in my side since first year,
And as I move on, I will surely not miss you.
After all the headaches you've given me,
I should have applied to Vic instead.

Anyway, I actually had nightmares. In first year, I took microbiology (don't ask) and although I passed and thoroughly enjoyed the course, it still gives me nightmares. (My T.A. for this class was James Peek and I spent half the semester imagining what would happen if Peek Freans realized he was their long lost grandson and gave him the inheritance to the company. In return for being the best class he's ever had, he would give us free Peek Freans for life.) 


For a few weeks I was scared to check my school email in case the most dreadful thing happened: They realized I sucked too much at microbiology and decided to take away my credit, leaving me one science credit short of graduation. DUM DUM DUM. (Actually, if this was to happen, I would forgive the university for letting go of me so easily.) 

But October is here, and I recently received three emails (none of which is from Woodsworth) congratulating me on being able to graduate - any more emails and I'm going to start thinking that the university is too happy to let me go - and I've invited my parents to come see me be on stage for one minute. I've already ordered my graduation gown but I haven't ordered my graduation pictures yet because they turned out ugly. 

One response to “The Most Anticlimactic Moment of My Life

  1. bwahahah... u sure showed ROSI a thing or two.

    I was also at Woodsworth and I remember doing something similar but I totally didn't have to wait a month for a reply. I think it depends on who's serving you at the counter. I think I kinda caught on who likes to be nice to you and leave you a happier person than when you came in and who loves to ruins ppl's day.

Leave a Reply

Followers