One of Many Doctor Appointments

Turns out the mysterious tenant's name is Pedro. I use to have a guinea pig named Pinto, so it's all good.

Aaron had a doctor's appointment today, and my mom forced Pedro to drive us to the hospital. He was nice about it, even when the appointment ran longer than I told him it would. I used the the time in the car to grill Pedro about his mysterious past:

Me: So how long have you been in Canada?

Pedro: Two years. Halloween is tomorrow right?

Me: What?

Pedro: Halloween.

Me: What?

Pedro: Halloween. When kids go around getting candy and they dress up.

Me: OH Halloween! Right, right, it's tomorrow.

--- Silence ---

Woops. I couldn't understand him because he has a very thick accent, but we did talk about other things
too, like his autistic nephew (who happens to be my mom's best friend, long story).

Anyway, so Aaron's condition is not all that much better. We're all worried about whether or not he'll be able to have much of a career. In the end, there's only so much the doctors and my family can do for him, since it really depends on how much he wants it. He's the one who has to fight the battle.

Mental illness runs deep in my family though, and cancer for that matter. Dum dum dum! Annabelle is always scaring us by talking about genetic triggers to certain things.

Here's a list of the misfortunes that runs deep with my family:
1) Uncle Peter, who was born with mental illness
2) Aunty Grace, who has breast cancer
3) My grandpa, who died of stomach cancer
4) My grandma, who died of some sort of illness

With this kind of history, I'm especially worried about Aaron.

But in the end, doesn't it all just depend on how mentally strong a person is?

Dr. Rass, Aaron's doctor, is especially helpful and goes beyond his duty. He has a very fatherly/concerned friend air about him. He's a psychologist and knows how to keep Aaron in line. Although I may fail to truly appreciate him as a doctor since I'm not in the medical field, I am really grateful for the nurturing care and attention he's giving Aaron.

In life, there will always be barriers. Some of them are easier to abandon than others. A job would be easier to abandon to pursue a dream. Family isn't. I just hope people can understand this answer.

Leave a Reply

Followers