Not to jinx the recently birthed genius that is Bit by Bit Tutoring or anything, but I have to say that we have had a lot of luck recently.
Tonight, I struck out and was able to tutor a kid near where I live. Just a bit north of my neighbourhood is a large Italian community (mostly Italian I should say, since there are a lot of people from India there as well) that is quickly growing, so-much-so that a new high school recently opened up which means there are a lot of kids in the neighbourhood.
I found my student through Armin who has built quite a niche for himself in the area since he apparently owns an 'entire street', meaning, he tutors most of the kids in that street. One of his students is dyslexic so Armin recommended me in hopes that I could help him, because apparently ESL and dyslexia have enough similarities (kidding).
I think I surprised his parents at first though, since they didn't expect me to be Asian. They were like, "So, you tutor English? Like, that's what you went to school for?"
Me: "Pretty much."
The kid - or teenager actually, since he's in gr.10, but I call everyone younger than me kid - was actually pretty cool. If his parents didn't tell me that he was dyslexic I would have never known. The result of this experience is that I now have a side tutoring gig, since his parents wants me to help him once a week for the entire summer! Is this not the biggest blessing or what?
So anyway, this entire Bit by Bit experience made me realize that there's a big market out there for tutors, especially in the summer, which is contrary to popular belief. Parents are willing pay money for their kids education and sending them off to a tutor is like going to camp, only instead of being outdoors they spend their time indoors with their faces buried in books. I have to take advantage of this and get as many kids as possible, that way all my friends will be employed through Bit by Bit, mwahaha.
Currently though, I feel like I've bitten off more than I can chew. Though I love volunteering, I'm looking forward to June when I'll be done so I can spend my time sleeping all day instead, zzz.
Carving a Niche
Labels
- Deliriant O. (31)
- Happiness Challenge (30)
- That old noodle bowl (9)
lol @ the esl and dyslexia comment