Marriage is a Scary Thing and Among Other Things

My adventures in Disney World has been so deeply engraved in my mind that I will forever remember it, but since I've been talking non-stop about Disney World ever since I've gotten back, I've gotten sick of the subject. All I have to say is that:

1) Every business in the world should be run the way Disney World runs their business.
2) You're never too old to dream.
3) It was all started by a mouse.
4) Walt Disney is my new hero, along with the brilliant minds of J.K. Rowling and Shakespeare.

With that said, on to more grave matters: Marriage is Scary.

It's a scary decision and an even scarier commitment. It's scary because divorce is the biggest failure you can have in your life, and it's scary because marriage is a testimony of God's love. It's scary to have to live with someone, talk to that same person, raise your kids with that person, breathe, eat, share everything with that person - for the REST of your life.

And what if you made a mistake? What if giving acts of love to that person gets tiring and tedious and you decide you no longer want to do it?

Not to make light of the subject or anything, but my parents are getting divorced. I decided there's nothing wrong with blogging about it since it's a decision that will have a big impact on my life, and if I can't talk about it here, my blog will be rendered useless. Truth be told, I was probably sad about it for a day, then got over it, since well, it was a long time coming.

I remember going to school one day in grade six balling my eyes out and causing a fuss with my friends because I told them my parents were getting divorced. I don't even know why I was crying then, but I guess when you're a 12 year old girl you're bound to cry about everything. I was emotionally detached to the subject then because divorce was just another fact of life people go through, plus I figured they deserved it if they no longer loved each other.

Anyway, that was 11 years ago (how did time pass by so quickly?) so the subject has been numbed in my head now. I don't need pity or whatever else it is people give to other people when their parents get a divorce, since life goes on.

Last week, Tabitha and I came up with the brilliant idea of creating our own tutoring business. I've been toying with the thought of starting my own editing business for a while now, much like my good friend Peter, but it always seemed like a lot of work. First, I'd have to make sure I knew grammar syntax inside and out, which I'm sure I don't since everything I know about grammar I've learned from my 'Grammar for Dummies Book' and whatever else I've learned from teaching my students (I've never taken any formal classes).

Plus, more people would benefit from tutoring and I'd have a team of awesome people to work with. So  last week, Tabi and I established 'Bit by Bit Tutoring' (the name Step by Step was taken). We started posting online on Kajiji and Craigslist and other tutoring websites to get our name out there. So far, I've gotten 2 phone calls (whoohoo!) and ran into someone looking for ESL classes last week at Church (I'm offering him free classes though, since I would feel bad charging him).

So that's it. I made cheesy posters like, "Keep Calm and Get a Tutor" and "E=mc2 getting you down? We can help!" That we'll be putting up next week at various community centers. Amy Tang promised to make me buttons, which we'll be handing out at the Asian Night market (we'll be appealing to the high achieving Asian parents).  

I'm also working with Lilian and Armin as well, and if Owen wasn't going to China for two months, I would have made him work too. This way, we have everything covered: math, science, ESL, English, and psychology.

I'm very optimistic about Bit by Bit, which is a good thing because if it wasn't for Bit by Bit taking up space in my head I'd probably be more depressed about the future, so I'm thanking God for this opportunity.

Leave a Reply

Followers