This past week concluded my year long journey with Kids.Now.
If anyone remembers, last year I signed up to be a volunteer/mentor/coach for Kids.Now, this leadership building program for youths. So after months of (im)patiently waiting, I finally started the 12 week long program at this middle school downtown.
The experience was ok, not mind blowing or anything. After the sixth week I was getting impatient and started counting down the weeks when we would end. I think the kids sensed my impatience, but oh well, it's not like I was getting paid or anything. Although the program itself is impressive, it wasn't the right fit for me. It focused too much on problems and stress, which after the 6th week, I discovered 14 year olds don't have much of .... so we quickly ran out of things to talk about (I mean, I could talk about my stress but I don't think they would have cared).
I think part of my impatience had to do with the fact that I was taking on too many things at once. On some weeks, everything collided and I'd be serving children's and tutoring on Sundays, working on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays, have Kids.Now on Wednesdays, and then have JAM and ESL on Saturdays. On top of that, I spent all day Tuesdays and Thursdays in class. No wonder I was exhausted.
But now that I have one less thing to worry about, I don't know what to do with my time. So I came up with a list:
1) Have a garage sale
2) Run around on the treadmill and pretend I'm a hamster
3) Buy an iPad
Also, this past week this woman emailed me and asked Bit by Bit to tutor her niece ESL. Excited, I promptly called her and made arrangements. The next day though, she emailed us and told us she found someone more qualified!! I was super upset by this. Talk about getting our hopes up for no reason. Grrr.
Done Volunteering!
Labels
- Deliriant O. (31)
- Happiness Challenge (30)
- That old noodle bowl (9)
I like number 2 and 3. I feel like you and I could be friends, we both like being busy. Hehe.