Because I'm a night owl, I find it hard to sleep early, but since I have a four hour lecture bright and early tomorrow morning, I've been trying to fall asleep for the past two hours to no avail. So far I've completed 5 sudoku puzzles, read Bathroom Readers extensively, and tried fruitlessly to set up my email on my blackberry (I am terrible when it comes to electronics, it took me months to figure out how to use my macbook).
But I think I've figured out why my brain won't shut off: it's because I'm too busy occupying myself with thoughts of vengeance. This is a completely different, and unrelated, type of vengeance that I posted about in my last post.
Here's the story:
Today at work, I was busy fiddling around with a binder, trying to look for a phone number, when suddenly a bunch of loose leaf papers fell on the ground. Just as it fell, two managers walked pass me, as if they didn't just see what happened. My coworker, who witnessed the entire scenario, commented one word, "Wow."
I pretended to be cool about it, like I didn't care that they snubbed me or the fact that they were too busy to be a gentleman and help pick up the papers I've dropped, but inwardly, I was boiling with rage.
To explain why this made me boil in rage I have to back track a bit. Earlier that day, an extremely rude customer was dumped on me by another manager. Since the situation was beyond what I can do, I called another manager to help me, but she basically just told me to call corporate customer service and walked away. The customer was extremely upset and began swearing on the top of his lungs that he was never going to shop there ever again, and that Wal-Mart was about to swallow us whole because it's a much better company yadda-yadda ...
The fact that two managers refused to do their jobs properly and dump their problems on me made me extremely upset. This is not the first time this has happened, in fact, this happens a lot. And so when the paper incident happened, I had had enough. Maybe it's because I'm too meek and unspoken that they trample over me, but seriously, I personally think that as a manager, you have to have at least the basic manners down.
Basic manners include:
1) Greeting associates when you see them. A simple hello won't kill you.
2) Acknowledgment of an associates existence outside of needing their help.
3) Having the courtesy to pick up papers that someone may have dropped.
I was seething in rage after my shift, and I furiously texted Nat about everything I disliked about everyone. I was like, "Nat, before we quit, we should pull a prank on all of them as vengeance!"
Looking back on it now, I don't think my emotional reactions were ungrounded. Anyway, so I can put my mind at ease and finally sleep, I'm going to make a list of pranks I that I won't do because it'd be too mean:
Prank#1
Gather all the pens and lock them up.
Why this would be too mean: Pens are extremely important and often go missing. Locking it up would require them to look for the right key, and there are millions of keys.
Prank#2
Somehow figure out how to lock the music on the Country Music channel. Basically, at work we have this box with different channels, and each channel is a different genre.
Why this would be too mean: Country Music would drive everyone insane.
Prank#3
Pop all the balloons.
Why this would be too mean: For some reason, the managers place high importance on balloons and often ask me to blow them up/put them on sticks. The sound of balloons being popped would not only damage everyone's hearing for half the day, but it would also mean they won't have any balloons.
Prank#4
Put a 'NOT IN SERVICE' sign on the associate restroom.
Why this would be too mean: Everyone will have to use the same restroom as the customers, and believe me, it always stinks.
Ok my pranks are lame.
Amy Tang accused me the other week of taking work too seriously. I think the reason why I've been taking it seriously lately is because Zovig is gone and I have no one to save my butt, which means I have to save my own butt.
Gonna try and sleep again, instead of counting sheep maybe I should count how many lame pranks I can come up with.
cuz you do take work too seriously!