I've always considered myself a somewhat lucky person. I have never really had to work hard for anything, and in some ways, things just land on my lap (but this could change in an instant). Ok, I'm going to get a little TMI here, so skip this part if you're feeling queasy. When I was born, the placenta from the womb was wrapped around me. I think the placenta is suppose to come separately, but it was loosely wrapped around my hairy baby self. Anyway, so the doctor took it, hung it to dry and gave it to my dad to keep. The doctor deemed this lucky since this doesn't usually happen, and so ever since then, my family has always considered me lucky (my dad eventually gave the dried placenta to me to keep. It's my only lucky charm, haha).
But maybe it's not an omen for luck, maybe it's just an omen for being God blessed, or being loved by God. It's kind of like I'm a small fish in this big river who just swims along with the current of the water. The water is like God, who directs me in whichever way, and if I try to swim the other direction, the strong water current pushes me back.
When it comes to part-time jobs, I've always felt like they've landed on my lap in a lucky - if not somewhat haphazardous - way. Here's a list of my job history:
1) Bourbon Chicken
You know, that fast food place that specializes in chicken, such as Bourbon, Honey, Black Grilled and Jambalaya chicken. I worked in two locations, the one at Yorkdale and the one at the Promenade. This job was extremely random. I gave in my resume and the next day I got a call from Wendy, my first (not to mention extremely boisterous) manager. Basically, everyone there spoke little English and only spoke Cantonese, but even though I could not understand a word that they were saying, she hired me anyway. It was an interesting experience, at night the cook let me take home the left over chicken and mashed potatoes. And for a while after I quit, every time I passed by them in the food court they gave me a free drink.
2) Sears
Yeah, this was really random and lucky. So basically, I asked for an application and kept it in my bag for months without filling it out. One day, I was was fed up with Bourbon Chicken, and decided to get over my laziness and filled out the application. The moment I handed it in, Zovig, my manager, took it and asked me to come back the next day for an interview.
It turns out, just the day before, this guy named Ron had just quit and they were looking for a replacement. I had just handed in the application and resume at the right time. I'm also really lucky to be in my department, since Zovig is the best manager anyone can ever have. She's saved my butt ten million times and is extremely kind hearted. When I first started working there, she tried to preach the gospel to me. She's really smart too, she has an undergraduate in Chemical Engineering and speaks 5 different European languages (unfortunately, she has sever allergic reactions to many of the chemicals she had to work with so she had to quit).
I just realized that my work anniversary at Sears is coming up. I started working there on May 21st in 2008, which means I've been there for three years. Hoorah (?!?).
3) ELC
That's right, I have a new tutoring job!
Basically, ever since first year, I have always gone to the U of T career website to apply for tutoring jobs to no avail. I have never heard back from anyone, ever. I suppose it's because they just have a lot of people from the university applying, so I was surprised that this year, I received a reply from three tutoring places. ELC was random since it's somewhat near my place (the other two places I heard back from was in Scarborough and downtown) and they were only looking for ONE English tutor.
Anyway, it's no secret that I want to go abroad after I graduate and teach English in a foreign country. I thought of going to China for a while, but it wasn't until recently that I changed my mind and decided I wanted to go to South Korea instead. Truthfully though, I really didn't know anything about the process on how to go about this, WHICH IS WHY I'm super lucky that I got a job at ELC.
Basically, the guy who owns ELC's name is Jason Park, or Jay Park for short. He went to U of T for science and business and runs ELC along with another company. I had my interview today, and he asked me what I wanted to do after I graduated, so I mentioned that I wanted to go abroad and teach in South Korea for a bit. Obviously being Korean himself, he gave me all sorts of advice, such as what to do and how to go about it, etc. The entire time he was giving his spiel I just kept thinking, "thank you, thank you, thank you so much Lord for giving me this person to help me." Seriously. This is probably the best blessing I've had in a while.
The only thing is that I have to tutor on Friday evenings (so I hope you guys will forgive me for being absent at LH for the next little while), but he mentioned something about moving the English lessons on Wednesday evenings (English lessons are only one day a week, and the rest of the week is math and science). And I get my own classroom with four, cute, little desks! So while I teach them English, they can teach me Korean.
Random story: I just bit into a corn cob and heard my jaw crack. My jaw has gotten lazy from eating mushy vegetarian food, I have to start doing jaw stretches.
Hillsong - The Desert Song
This is my prayer in the desert
And all that's within me feels dry
This is my prayer in the hunger in me
My God is a God who provides
And this is my prayer in the fire
In weakness or trial or pain
There is a faith proved
Of more worth than gold
So refine me Lord through the flames
Chorus
And I will bring praise
I will bring praise
No weapon forged against me shall remain
I will rejoice
I will declare
God is my victory and He is here
And this is my prayer in the battle
And triumph is still on it's way
I am a conqueror and co-heir with Christ
So firm on His promise I'll stand
Bridge
All of my life
In every season
You are still God
I have a reason to sing
I have a reason to worship
This is my prayer in the harvest
When favor and providence flow
I know I'm filled to be empited again
The seed I've recieved I will sow
<3 God is awesome.
Jay Park...hahaha. I hope he's nothing like the real guy. I'm glad you got the tutoring job though - now you can teach me more Korean! My new suite mate is also Korean...
The real Jay Park is too gangster for me to like, even though he was cute whenever he got beaten up by the other members in variety shows, haha ^.^
Hopefully my accent will get better. So far, the only thing in Korean I can say that's actually recognizable is, 'hello, how are you?'
You should learn how to say "Sorry, I'm late" as well, just in case... ;)