I was in the car today with my mom and dad, on our way to church, when my mom announces, for what seems like the hundredth time, that she's found a place to sell her baked goods.
As we all know, she's into baking, and her dream is to have her own bakery where she can cater to everyone's cake needs. She was telling us today how she found this place who will let her use their kitchen to bake and sell and yadda yadda yadda ... same old story every time.
Then she mentions how there's approximately 25000 Filipino's in the GTA, the largest in all of Canada. Impressive, no? She reckons it's because everyone needs nanny's. My mom basically sees this as an untapped gold market: she wants to be as well known as Jesse Jr.
Never heard of Jesse Jr.?
Well lucky for you, because here is:
Ann's Guide to Fine Dinning with Filipino Food
Because there are so many Filipino's in the GTA, we were bound to open up our own stores/restaurants. Jesse Jr. is a Filipino take out/dine in restaurant and they have about three branches. Their food consists of the average Filipino food, which means oily, greasy and jammed packed with cholesterol.
Another really popular Filipino restaurant/take out place in the GTA is Remeley's, which is fancier and classier than Jesse Jr. in my opinion because
1) The locks in their bathroom isn't broken
2) They sell Goldilock products. (Goldilock is a famous bakery in the Philippines.)
My grandparents owned a Filipino store for ten years called Manila Bay at Finch and Bathurst. It was my first part time job, I would go there every Saturday and Sunday to help out with the cash (it was a cool job, I got fed very well, and when it was quiet, we'd just pop in a cheesy Filipino movie to waste time). Manila Bay used to be half a grocery store and half take out, but ever since they sold the business of to another family, I'm not sure what the layout of the store is now.
Then of course there's MAX'S CHICKEN, which newly opened up at Dufferin and Steeles. (Right beside my house! Every time I pass by I get a wiff of fried chicken, Filipino style). Max Chicken is a franchise from the Philippines. Max Chicken is fine dining though, unlike Jesse Jr. and Remeley's. My family and I went to feast there a couple of weeks ago, they have an unlimited amount of chicken (the table beside us had at least five orders of chicken) and not so good Halo-Halo. (My grandma makes it better.)
Anyway, that is all. I realize I should at least give a list of names of the food but I'm too lazy to google and find proper spellings for Palabok, Karekare and Sinigang na Hipon. (I'm pretty sure I just butchered the spellings, right Hannah?)
Oh and besides these dine in and take out restaurants, there are a handful of small Filipino grocery stores littered here and there, like Ilocanja (spelling butchered) and Coco Banana. My dad use to own one, it was called Tindahang Pinoy (spelling butchered again, it means 'Filipino Store')
---Ok, enough about food---
Today I was madly texting a whole array of people, and it wasn't until after my thumb began to hurt that I sat back and reflected on the situation:
I need more time in my life >.<
1) To do readings
2) To go to winterlicious with people
3) To do LH stuff ...
4) To sleep! I haven't slept in in a while, my inward lazy self is crying out from abuse.
You spelled it right! GOOD JOB!
really? I'm surprised