Birthday!

Yesterday (it's still yesterday to me because I'm writing this at 1:21 am march 22, but really, because I haven't gone to bed yet, it's still march 21 by my time.) was my birthday although it really didn't feel like my birthday. Usually I get this tingly feeling of excitement on my birthday. Not this year though. Perhaps it's because I'm aware of how old and unaccomplished I'm becoming ... After a certain age birthday's become a burden to celebrate.


Although part of the reason as to why I wasn't in a very celebratory mood on my birthday could be because I have an essay due on Monday, which I've been putting off. After a few essays, my motivation to start another paper lessens .... 

So I woke up on my birthday feeling all dreadful since I woke up late and should have woken up hours ago to write my essay. I then went to brunch with Annabelle and my dad. Which was fine. It wasn't painful since my mom wasn't there. Afterwards we went home and to my surprise, Manley, Amy and Mona were in my living room. I'm starting to feel guilty because last year I didn't feel like celebrating my birthday either and Amy planned a surprise party for me, this year it was Mona who planned it. Next year, just so I won't trouble anyone, I'll plan my own birthday lunch thing.

So they whisked me away to East Side Mario's where Duy and Leo were waiting. Then eventually Betty and Shlomi showed up. There was this whole confusion after lunch on what we should do next, in the end, Duy, Amy, Leo and I ended up walking back to my place and spent the afternoon playing Apples to Apples and watching G4. 

Then we cut the cake and ate pizza and sung happy birthday. There was more drama in between but I'd rather not mention it at the moment.

Let's see ... oh ok so this morning I skipped church to stay home and work on my essay, my mom was home so she came in my room to talk to me - actually, more like complain to me about how she doesn't like Leo since he didn't say goodbye to her last night before they left. Due to the drama that happened last night that I'd rather not mention, it was my fault they didn't say bye to my mom because I practically pushed Amy, Duy and Leo out of the house. So that was unfair of her to say that. But then she does this strange thing where she compares Leo to Vinay, my sisters better half at the moment. Which is like the most, ugh, annoying thing in the world because she spent a good amount of time complaining to me about Vinay. And now Vinay is this guy that everyone must live up too. Whatever, I like Vinay. He's cool. It's just annoying how hypocritical my mom is. 

I went to work then afterwards, and as usual, after work on Sundays I visit my grandparents with my dad. Usually, when I'm in the car with my dad I switch the station on the radio to whatever I want to listen too, but then today when I switched the station my dad went nuts. He starts off "I always let you listen to the station you want too blah blah but doesn't mean I like your type of music blah blah and I don't even consider that music that I would like, what are they doing? Chanting? (No dad, they're raping) Blah blah You're so inconsiderate for changing the station all the time, but this time I just have to say something and one more thing - !" 

And I knew this was coming.

He turns off the radio completely and then says "Who's that guy that was over last yesterday? What is he to you?"

To which I answer, "Whatever Vinay is to Annabelle." 

Then he goes off on how he saw me sitting on Leo's lap yesterday in my room since .. whatever. Anyway, then he goes, "You shouldn't go out with anyone while you're in school!" To which i say, in my head of course, because saying this out loud would be deadly, "BS! That's not what you told your other daughter!" 

My dad is insane. He then tells me that all this time he has this 'six sense' about people, that he can tell what a person is really like just by looking at them and he didn't get a good vibe about Leo and that he doesn't like his personality because he was rude for not greeting him (Umm, dad, you were missing in action 99% of the time). Then he says "What is he, Korean?" 

"No, he's not."

"Chinese? What, ok so let me guess, he was born here in 'Canada' right?" (My dad has this theory that all Canadian kids are corrupt)

"No dad, he moved here when he was in high school" 

"What do you mean he moved here when he was in high school? blah blah He doesn't act like a Chinese that grew up in China, so impolite, I don't like him, blah blah blah."

&*%*@#%&R!!!! I was so frustrated!!!! Like, he has all these insane theory and notions! Half of them don't even make sense. 1) He assumed that Leo was Korean .. meaning that he thinks Korean kids are all impolite and corrupt? Because that was where he was getting at 2) To this day I don't understand why he thinks all Canadian kids are corrupt, probably because they listen to 'chanting' music on the radio. 3) WHAT does being born in China have to do with being polite!!??? WTF, is he saying that Asia is capable of raising non-corrupt polite children than Canadians?!? 

Oh and this whole six sense about someone ... it's such a stupid way of judging someone. 

Of course, he said other things like all fathers would to their daughters, like that whole "I know what guys that age are after and they're only after one thing because when I use to be that age and I know! So don't sit on his lap anymore!" I mean, that's understandable, he's my dad after all. But all the other crap that he said really pissed me off. 

Weird thing was that he asked me how I first met Leo. He assumed I met Leo through Amy, which I don't understand why, but it's good he said that because now I know what he really thinks of my best friend: That she's a bad influence. Whatever dad. 

The reason I'm pissed is because he's basing this all during the 2 seconds he met Leo. Oh, and he's basing it on the fact that Leo smokes. I should make a list of all the saints in the church who smokes and give it to him, he won't be making unfair assumptions then. 

I told this all to Leo, to which he calmly replies, "All fathers have negative prejudices against the guy dating his daughter. I understand. Just need to improve next time :)"

Yeah, made me feel stupid for being pissed. But Leo's so calm and understanding, I should be more like that :/

Leave a Reply

Followers