I
have a student named TaeHoon who’s like a cute little timbit. His favourite
hero of all time is Michael Jordan, so he gave himself the nickname Mik; but
recently, he started to write Anthony everywhere.
Me:
TaeHoon! Who’s Anthony?
TH:
That’s my English name from now on because I need a more professional sounding
name.
I am
very dubious about the name Anthony. For one, in Philippines if you were gay
your name would most likely be Anthony, which was the first thing I thought of
at the moment. And two, if you ask me, TaeHoon should be a ‘Teddy’ or a ‘Terry’
since he looks like a nerdy teddy bear.
I
have one-on-one lessons with TaeHoon three times a week, which is why I was
able to argue with him over the dubious nature of his name for so long, but alas,
I lost and TaeHoon will never be a Teddy.
Names
are very important and can leave a scarring mark on a person. When I was a kid,
everyone called me ‘Annmarjoriehaha’ so I was scarred by it. It wasn’t until I
was 9 that my teacher introduced me simply as ‘Ann’ that I had a sudden
epiphany and insight into a world where I would no longer have to be burdened
by such an ugly name.
Unfortunately,
my dad introduced me as Annmarjoriehaha at church behind my back, so people
there called me Annmarjoriehaha for the longest time, and it wasn’t until one
day I got tired of it and said, “Just call me Ann! Not Annmarjoriehaha!” Which
they did but this confused Tabitha because I forgot to tell her
about my name change and she was used to calling me Annmarjoriehaha. It took
some adjusting.
People
at my parents’ church still call me Annmarjoriehaha though.
Moral
of the story: Give your kid a cool name.
I must admit that Annmarjoriehaha is the coolest name ever! Most unique name I've ever came across, kudos to u! In fact I feel an urge to start calling you Annmarjoriehaha cuz it sounds so cool. : )