Hello World.


I have half an hour to waste before I head out to karaoke with Amy Tang and other people so I thought I might as well blog.

The other week I gave this guy at work, who I sometimes talk to, my phone number. Ever since then he's been randomly texting me one word: "Hey."

Hey what? I usually don't respond because I don't know what 'Hey' entails, is it a conversational hey or a creepy hey ... It's somewhat awkward at work when I run into him, because I don't know if he's wondering why I ignored his 'Hey.'

So recently I've acquired a new skill: I've learned to skate. Admittedly, I suck, but I am getting better. I've been skating a couple of times now, and only fallen once because Vinay pushed me.

Before the winter break begun, Armin asked me to go skating with him. I reluctantly said yes because 1) I have problems saying no and 2) I couldn't skate. But since I somewhat learned thanks to Amy Tang and other people the other day (was it last Thursday? Can't remember, all the days are blurring into one) I went skating with Armin, my sister and Vinay this morning.

My sister planned the trip, which was why we were at Nathan Philips square at 10 a.m in the morning. Annabelle's a morning person, I'm not. She likes to do things in the morning, I don't. I like to stay up until 4 a.m. at night, she doesn't. But since it was her event, I got up early and went downtown with her.

It was freezing this morning, Armin, Annabelle and I chickened out and went straight to Tim Hortons instead of skating right away. Vinay met up with us there.

We were talking about something I read in Uncle John's Bathroom Reader: Apparently, it's a misconception that kids can pick up language easily because their brain has more plasticity, apparently your brain never looses it's plasticity so it shouldn't be a problem to pick up a language even at an older age. Of course, obviously there will be other factors that will hinder you.

So this got me thinking, if your brain never looses it's plasticity, (oh and this is a true fact by the way, since my sister confirmed it. She use to major in neuro science since she got tired of how disorganized the program was) that means you can pick up a skill at any time. For example: I've always considered myself tone deaf because 1) I have trouble playing instruments 2) I cannot sing, but I suppose it's just a matter of training your brain to do something.

There was this one test where they gathered a group of individuals who practiced on an actual piano and individuals who practiced on an imagined piano, and they found that the people who practiced on the imagined piano were able to play just as well. There's a whole chapter about it in Annabelle's textbook, maybe I'll summarize it later. It's pretty cool stuff.

Ok, half an hour over. Amy Tang and other people are here.

Leave a Reply

Followers