So usually, when I notice a guy staring at me often I get freaked out. It's one of those stares where you know it's not because you have a big stain on your shirt, or because your shoelaces are undone. And I'm not conceited enough to think that the guy is staring at me because he's checking me out, since, lets face it, I'm a stick. No meat, no curves, just a straight line. (This is why I avoid clothes that shows off my stick-iness)
Anyway, so I'm at work and this guy works right across from me and he just keeps glancing at my direction. Sometimes, even if you're a stick like me, when a guy glances often in your direction it's flattering IF they're decent looking. But this guy is balding and old and balding and old. So, you're left wondering, what does this guy want!?!
Eventually, he comes up to me and says, "So are you done school now?"
There it is, the conversation starter. I answer: "Uh, yeah, just taking summer school."
Then he goes, "Are you still in high school?"
FACEPALM! This guy who's old and balding thought I was still in high school. Pedophile anyone? I correct him by saying I'm in university.
Then he goes, "Oh is that so? I was in computer engineering and I was the CEO for this company but then one day I went to this lecture and I decided to try being an optician and then I also did my MA at Rotman and now I'm working here! So you can say that I'm in between jobs. What are you doing in school?"
I knew he was going to ask me this. When I told him I was an English major he just said, "Oh... well that's nice, you're good at communications and stuff ... "
Psh. Yeah, you can stop trying to lie by telling me how useful my English degree will be. But I don't know if this guy is lying about his credentials, since if he's really that accomplished he wouldn't be working in retail like me.
So the point is: this guy, who supposedly went to school for Engineering, Business and Science is a logics guy. A numbers dude who obviously wouldn't understand humanities, and therefore puts it down. He has obviously never read Margaret Atwoods: Onyx and Crake, where the world was destroyed by numbers people. We need humanities to retain the balance!
Ok that's the end of my rant. I really don't care when people look at me funny when I tell them an English major, even though I know in their heads they're thinking: "Poor, sad, little girl's gonna be stuck working in retail forever, tsk tsk." If only people understood what we suffer through, all the readings and essays and readings and essays, they'd think we had super human abilities, not to mention amazing self discipline. (Reading Chaucer and avoiding t.v. takes bewildering endurance.)
Also, old men who likes high school girls are creepy.
It's almost mid July! 1 more month before Mr. Yue comes back. Wonder if he's managed to loose weight? :P
