Everydayness of Commuting

There’s this guy who went to the same high school as I didwhose name always escapes my mind, so we’ll call him allusively with the letterK. So K is a really interesting person. After graduating, he made a lot ofmoney through computer programming, or something of that sort, since he’s apparentlyan untapped genius whose brain was just waiting to be harvested.


But now that he’s done with making money, K, in his sparetime, drops in on random lectures at U of T such as: astronomy, some weirdengineering course, an ancient Greek philosophy course, a poetry class - all ofwhich he actively participates in with insightful questions to confuseprofessors and students who have not seen him before.

If I were K, I’d just enroll and get a degree while I’m atit, but I guess all he’s after is knowledge and not a title. He’s the kind ofperson who just laughs at everything, though not mockingly, because everythingis just so entertaining.

Anyway, we ran into him at Downsview station since we alwaysseem to run into people there at night. The night we ran into him, we also raninto Abdi, who I’ve mentioned before. Abdi is also an untapped genius, butunlike K, he’s in for a degree. It’s really weird, because during our nightlycommute, we always share about our days:

“I had to attend an empathy class today, we talked aboutphrases to use on patients so we can be empathetic. You never say, ‘it’s notthat bad!’ because you’re assuming it’s really bad.”

“Did you have to attend it because you just don’t know howto have empathy?”

“Oh snap! High five!”

*slap*

Or

“What does it mean when a girl texts you this? I had a great time tonight, got home ok.And then look, she says this after, I waswith Alex. How does that even relate!”

"It just means she's hinting something at you."

Or

“I was watching A Street Car Named Desire tonight in classand I felt like I was going to go crazy – it's hard to explain.”

So as you can see, our conversation is all over the place,and I’m afraid that not any one of us really knows how to help the other personsince we just can’t relate to what they mean. It wasn’t until we ran into Abdiat Downsview and he said, “Oh you mean, by Tennessee Williams?” that I feltlike someone actually finally understood me.

Oh well life is weird. Maybe we should all be more like K.

One response to “Everydayness of Commuting

Leave a Reply

Followers