I was in the kitchen making instant noodles, after a long day of being queasy, when Matt proudly comes in holding a shaver and declared that he was going to cut Aaron's hair. Right from the get go I could tell this was going to be a bad idea. Either Aaron was going to loose an ear or he was going to end up bald, the later being what ended up happening.
The shaver came with a video that instructed people how to cut hair, and as I finished up my instant noodles, I eavesdropped in at Matt's first attempt at cutting hair. "What is she talking about? Do I take the clip off or keep it on? This is too hard!" but despite his complains, he still went for it.
I later went to Aaron's room to check on the progress. Hair lay all over the floor and Aaron was touching the obvious bald spot on his head, while Matt was at the other side of the room apologizing.
I couldn't help it. As much as I tried to be supportive, I burst out laughing.
My brothers are the exact reasons as to why I think some guys make terrible decisions. Just last week, I stayed up until three in the morning listening to their takes on what girls want. According to them, there are two things girls are attracted to:
1) Guys with confidence
2) Alpha males
And even though they asked me what my take on this was, they didn't take heed to a single word I said (probably because I'm their older sister and they see me prancing around the house in my natural state on a daily basis). In any case, I love my brothers and they're super entertaining to live with. I'm sure Aaron's hair will grow back soon.
Moving on:
Teaching today was really entertaining. It astounds me as to how kids of the same age can be at completely different levels of learning. So one of the classes I was teaching today had three kids, and because I considered them to be more advanced than some of the other kids, I decided to be tougher on them and really tried to get a discussion going on.
Needless to say, the discussion ended up on Korean Dramas.
Basically, today's topic was 'how do movies and television influence people's behaviour?' So I was telling the kids how when you watch another cultures drama, the tendency is that you want to learn the language as well. I was like, "English dramas would influence people into wanting to learn English, and if I wanted to learn Korean, I would watch a lot of Korean dramas."
(They were confused at first, because they thought I was Korean and thought it weird how a Korean person wouldn't know how to speak Korean. I think it's cool how they just assumed I was Korean :D)
Actually, it's interesting to see how Koreans react to Korean dramas. For us non-Koreans, it just seems entertaining, but to one of the girls, Korean dramas are annoying and stupid.
They tried to pry out which Korean dramas I watch, but I refused to tell them incase they deem me uncool for watching lame dramas. But now I know their favourites:
1) High Kick
(the drama with Chansung from 2pm in it)
2) Boys Before Flowers
I'll use this information to my advantage and impress them with references from the dramas.
So that was the result to my attempt at having a good discussion going on. In a way I think I succeeded since I managed to engage the kids into what I was saying, but also, we seriously diverted from the original topic.
But I can't help it, it's like I'm just too curious about their culture. Like today, I was one on one tutoring a kid, and instead of helping him write his essay, I ended up making him teach me how to say grandma in Korean, which according to him is just like saying 'hi' and 'money' together so it just sounds like himoney.
Yeah, I'm suave like that, exploiting kids for free Korean lessons.