An in Between

Annabelle and I have been rather bored lately. Today we sat around the round kitchen table job hunting, drinking tea, and eating tons of food. It was nice and peaceful, she got a lot done, I got some. But nearer to the evening when we ran out of things to apply for we felt that tinge of boring setting up on us.

Jeremy says I use the word boring a lot, and to justify myself, I actually mean it this time around. This is the first time since Annabelle has gotten married that she’s spent an extensive amount of time at home with us, and life here is just so – the same. In her own house she has a million things to do: clean, paint, cut the grass, shovel the driveway, put out the trash – and here, it’s just sitting in front of the computer. It’s this type of idleness that causes her to miss Vinay, who’s in the thunderest bay at the moment, all the more.

I was bored because I had run out of things to do to entertain Annabelle. I can never be truly bored at home, there’s always something to do (like watching all of the Legend of Korra, a Pandora ’s Box I don’t think I’m ready to open yet). I painted her nails (yet again) and made dinner (my version of meat pie: potatoes and ground beef). And after that … well she’s not the type to watch movies, play games, watch drams, or other idle things normal people do.

Anyway, I guess I’m bored because I’m also waiting for Jeremy to come ‘home’ (even though Quebec is his real home). He’s been gone for about a week now and he’s coming back tomorrow, not that I’ll see him. And although I’ve been busy this past week (with the holidays and all) I can’t help but be irritated with time when I realize there’s three-two-one more day left until he returns. It’s familiar to when I only have an hour left to my shift at work, it’s always dragged on long and tortuously.

Speaking of work, that’s one place that never gets boring. This past holiday season was probably the most irritated I've been working in retail. I don’t usually get mad, but I was the closest to being mad on Boxing Day with the large amount of people and huge pile of mess they were trailing behind them. I wonder if it ever occurs to non-retail workers that there is actually someone who has to clean up after their mess when they decide to open up ten packs of underwear just to see which size fits or after they've let their children mess around in the toy department or after they decided to unbox all of the coffee makers in the isle just to see if it comes with a coffee pot. Maybe people think things just magically get cleaned up afterwards.

Wrong.

Here’s a secret: When you open up packages in stores, we have to throw them out. That’s right. It goes in the garbage. Why? Because no one else will buy it. They’ll see an opened box and buy the unopened box behind it.

Of course we lose money for it, but we’re also not allowed to yell at you when we catch you in the act either. (There’s nothing forbidding us from giving you the stink eye though, something I’ve gotten to be very good at.)

Ok ending this post off with this before my ranting goes on any further:

Last week on Saturday the store was still fairly busy. My very pregnant co-worker, S, was working as a cashier that day. It had been five-six long hours into her shift when suddenly she felt extreme pressure so she sat down on the floor in tears and told Jean that she was in labour. They got her a seat and called the leaders in the store, who led her to the fitting room where she’d be able to get privacy. Someone called the ambulance and they came in no time to whisk her away to the hospital. S had been crying – from the pain or from being scared, I don’t know.

It was all very traumatizing to me. I couldn’t stop thinking about S, and there was nothing much I could do except pray for her. I mean, her unborn child could have potentially died or be in fatal condition. I still don’t know what happened. But the funny thing is that no one else thought anything much about it. Everyone went back to work as if it was normal or that nothing had happened. I was a bit annoyed at this, and started to think that maybe I had thought the situation was much worse than it actually had been. That she wasn’t in that much pain, that the baby wasn’t in trouble after all.

Still. So this is what the holiday shopping season is like for us retail workers. We’re tired, irritated, and unhappy with consumers who stamped through the store as if they own the place so that we’ve become unfeeling to human needs.


Leave a Reply

Followers