Working at 5am: A Survival Guide
With careful planning and technique, being at work at 5am doesn't have to suck. I'm the type of person who would happily sleep all day if I could and my bed and I have a happy, blissful relationship together.
Quick Ode to my Bed:
More than just a companion to my dreams,
You're my best friend and comforter.
Happily you greet me in the arms of your tangled blankets,
And give my weary head rest on your flat pillow.
Oh bed, we've been through much together,
We've read through all 7 Harry Potter books,
Learned the pitfalls of eating waffles in bed,
Battled with invading insects that have tried to ruin our solitude,
But best of all, you've been there with me through all my nightmares.
Time flies far too fast,
As I snore and drool,
Daily I leave you,
But you're always there to welcome be back.
Tangent over, back to our Survival Guide:
7pm: In theory, if you wanted eight hours of sleep you should be in bed by 7 the night before, but realistically, we all know this isn't going to happen.
8pm: By this time if you're not glancing at the clock guiltily, being well rested probably doesn't mean that much to you. That or you're going through an inner dialogue with yourself about how awake you will be at 3am. The part of you that is telling you that sleeping at 8pm is ridiculous will probably win since the part of you that wants to be responsible is weak.
9pm: Start getting ready for bed. Be careful not to suddenly become overly energized at this point and be tempted to do a sudden burst of random housework - this will only keep you from sleeping! Head straight to bed, even if the battle there takes an hour.
IMPORTANT: Make sure you set your alarm. I set two just to be safe: My iphone and an alarm clock.
10pm: No matter what, you're probably tossing and turning in bed at this point, suddenly thinking about a hundred million different things. Things like, "Why did that guy on the ttc smell so bad?" and "Maybe I will actually eat breakfast when I wake up, since I'm sleeping so early and all," and "I wonder why s/he smiled at me like that. Does that mean s/he likes me? Or maybe s/he hates my guts and the smile meant they have evil intentions. Do not trust smiling people."
Tips to fall asleep: 1) Count Sheep 2) (As bad as this seems) Pray 3) Listen to random podcasts. (Warning: Don't listen to random podcasts that excite you, i.e. Shakespeare. Listen to something French.)
11pm-2:59am: You're hopefully snoring at this point. Drool like no one is watching because you'll have to be up in a minute.
3am: Now you're allowed to ask the question you've been wanting to ask. Why would you wake up at 3am when you start work at 5am? Like most things in life, I have no reason. I just like having a 2 hour cushion to do things like: Hit snooze for the next 40 minutes.
3:40: After hitting snooze for way too long, adjust your eyes slowly to the light by browsing instagram on your phone. After a solid ten minutes of this, brush your teeth and shower. The shower will be painful, try to sing a song to cheer yourself up.
4am: Coffee is a must at this point. Chug chug chug.
If you're a guy, you can skip this part. Go eat breakfast or something.
To all the ladies: Now is the point you might stand in front of the mirror and ask yourself if it's even worth it to put makeup on. The answer is yes because although the world is still sleeping at this point, it will be waking up at some point and it's going to have to look at you. You will poke your eye with mascara, you will cry because of your contacts, you will always somehow put too much lipstick on, the hair dryer will refuse to cooperate - it's all part of being complicated.
4:30-4:45: Depending on where you live, leave the house and admire how empty the streets can be and question what the lonely cars you pass by have been up to. If you see a pedestrian, do not honk and say hi, you might scare them. You are allowed to feel good about yourself, you made it out of the house.
5am: Start work.
7am: Make sure you take a break because you will be starving at this point. Nothing is open yet so hopefully you were smart enough to pack an apple.
7:30-10am: This is when things start to get painful, stay strong! You will start feeling light headed and might start cursing everyone. There is no way of stopping this, just avoid people and do not make eye contact. Hopefully your coworkers are smart enough to leave you alone.
11am: Take another break, trust me, you will feel better after eating. Everything is open now, i.e. Starbucks and McDonalds.
11:30-1pm: With your newfound energy, suddenly work 3x the speed to make up for your earlier sluggish movements.
1pm-1:30pm: Probably the most painful last half hour of your life. Hide in the office to do 'work'.
1:30pm: Freedom!
And there you have it. Good luck.
Working at 5am: A Survival Guide
Labels
- Deliriant O. (31)
- Happiness Challenge (30)
- That old noodle bowl (9)
I especially appreciate the suggestions you wrote between 4:00am - 4:30am lol. I ask myself the exact same question when I have to wake up early ( albeit never that early).."is it even worth it to put on make up?" I especially love your reasoning behind that resound yes! "...although the world is still sleeping at this point, it will be waking up at some point and it's going to have to look at you." <- very wise words