While I wait for Amy Tang to finish eating and call me back so she can rant to me over the phone, I will blog.
Today was a blah day. I closed my account with CIBC - after years of being underhandedly charged a ridiculous $5 a month for having a bankbook I never use - so I can switch over to RBC. I thought this would be a particularly emotional moment for me, especially since I still remember opening up my CIBC account as a 12 year old kid with my grandparents, proudly depositing the $50 I made through illegal child labour at their Filipino grocery store. But it wasn't.
So the reason I had to switch to RBC is a long one, which is why I'll skip over to my conversation with Sean, my now financial advisor whom my mom tricked into buying a Costco membership card (like I said, it's a long story).
Sean was trying to persuade me into opening a mastercard with RBC, especially because a lot of places are apparently making you choose between Visa or MC now, which I think he was making up because I have not noticed this. In fact, Tim Hortons recently started accepting both VISA and MC, which made me distrust Sean. Throughout our appointment, Sean just talked on and on about finance, which is good I suppose, since he's passionate about what he does. I mean, I'd want to be passionate about my job as well.
He also suggested I open up a TFSA, which sounded like a solid plan and would have been done in a minute if he didn't talk so much. I zoned out of what he was saying halfway through his example of why a TFSA account has been beneficial to him, his sister, his manager, and his car and began thinking of what I could be saving for: i.e. my own condo, a vacation in Korea, or going to Russia for the Winter Olympics.
Ok Amy Tang is calling. Maybe this post was a bit useless.
Banking and Things
Labels
- Deliriant O. (31)
- Happiness Challenge (30)
- That old noodle bowl (9)
I have a TFSA account! I don't get what mutual funds are but I know that it's basically a savings account that you can do direct deposit into so that you save money.
That's all I know.