My life is weird.
But I can't take full credit for it since my family has a large contribution to the weirdness. Just last week I went to a casual dinner with my brothers and mom and came home with a gigantic fish tank, which is now sitting in the living room.
How?
It all begun when the weather turned hot and confused everyone into thinking it was summer. My mom, the most active woman I know (she basically wakes up at 5 am every morning and is at the gym by 6. Then when she feels like it, works out with Matt at night. I have NO idea where she gets her energy from) pulled out her mountain bike and went for a ride in her favourite bike trail (right beside Sunny Brook Hospital). So she's riding along, without a helmet, when she falls and hits her head. According to her, she passed out and the next thing she knew she was in the hospital.
Everyone was shocked, but for some reason not very surprised, and lectured her on the dangers of not wearing a helmet. My poor mom, we were so worried she would have a hemorrhage before she had a chance to get a brain scan that we didn't let her sleep since we kept checking every hour to see how she was. Thankfully, she's ok and only came out with minor scratches and bruises, along with a terrible concussion.
But like every other hurdle in life, this terrible concussion did not stop her. She felt bad that she couldn't celebrate my birthday properly, even though I truly didn't care since turning old seriously dampened my mood, which is why she suggested we go out for dinner. After work one Thursday, my brothers, mom, and I went for Pho, which happens to be beside a large aquarium store.
Wanting to 'just have a look around,' my brothers went in while my mom and I ordered food for everyone. Half an hour later, they come tumbling in the restaurant, announcing that they've just bought a large fish tank for 'my dad's birthday' which happens to be next week. They couldn't stop talking about how huge it was, which it turns out wasn't an exaggeration at all.
This thing is massive.
I watched my mom for a reaction, but she was so nonchalant about Matt and Aaron's massive, sudden splurge that I suddenly realized everyone I lived with did not take life seriously enough, and that I probably thought about it too much. Seriously. I've been extremely moody about turning 23 that I've become too serious. Sometimes, you just need to buy a giant fish tank and say, "the hell with life!"
Anyway, what started out as a 'birthday gift for my dad' has become Matt's newest project. The tank, which started out with only water, slowly filled up and became way too crowded, and that's before the fish came into picture.
Here's what it looks like:
I have to admit it's kind of mesmerizing, there's something calming and soothing about watching the bubbles fill up and disappear in the tank.
We have four little experimental fish in there at the moment. I say experimental because Matt is playing around with the ph level and bacteria in the tank, if it goes well he wants to add more. (I can already imagine it.)
So that's life. If I don't blog about its weirdness I'd feel like I was wasting good writing material.
Looks amazing. They have so many things in the tank already.
This is SO cool. Wow, Matt and Aaron are really growing up.
Hahaha... oh Matt...