Although I'm Asian, I really don't do anything Asian related (majoring in English is as unconventionally Asian as you can get) because I'm super white washed. I usually don't mind when people speak Mandarin or Canto in front of me even though I don't understand it since I'm used to it, besides, when you live in Toronto, you're bound to come across many different languages you don't understand.
My coworkers at Sears used to hate this, and found it extremely rude, especially when customers or other coworkers would start conversing in another language in front of them. At work right now with the kids I teach, there's a big emphasis on only speaking English in the classrooms, especially in front of the teachers since we don't understand Korean, because it's extremely rude. I do agree it's rude, but honestly, sometimes you just can't help but want to shut other people out of your conversations. I wholeheartedly sympathize with people when they do it, especially in a group setting. Besides, sometimes things are better explained in other languages since English can't adequately explain it.
So Heng kindly hosted a dumpling party for some of the girls which I was super happy about since it's my first dumpling party. Tabi sent me a text message the other day saying, "I'm excited for the dumping party!" Gotta love auto-correct.
Hannah and I had trouble making our dumplings look like dumplings though, since our dumplings ended up looking like empanadas. My parents went through this phase at one point in time where they were in the business of making and selling empanadas to various Filipino stores, and would always forcefully employ me to help them. Maybe Hannah will host an empanada making party one of these days, I'll bring my parents empanada maker.
Heng's parents are really nice, and I can't believe Heng's dad remembers Matt when he was still a little scrawny kid. That was at least five years ago. Heng's mom kept feeding us and insisted we drink wine. I love cute, doting parents. The best part was that they seemed genuinely happy to have us over, invading their kitchen and dining space.
This is one of my favourite things about having a church family, where people are just genuinely open and happy to have you in their home. One day, when I have a kitchen of my own I'm going to invite a bunch of college aged people over to make dumplings (or empanadas).
sorry for speaking chinese in front of you guys...it's just easier cuz we were doing chinese things and talking about chinese thingys....