The Cake is a Lie


After having finished reading Pride and Prejudice for the tenth time, I was again awash with a sense of misery. Misery because I allowed myself to finish the book, misery because we can't all have a Darcy (or even a Bingley would be nice), and misery because I will miss Elizabeth. Is it strange to miss fictional characters? (Probably is.)

It's the type of book that allows you to fall in love with the idea of marriage while at the same time giving fair caution that not everyone will end up in a happy one. It seems that the formula Miss Austen provides is to be sensible in all things concerning marriage. But sensible like Elizabeth, who allows herself to dream and be romantic while being realistic and sensible of the men around her.

There's a certain sentiment mother's have to their daughter's marriage. Like Mrs. Bennet, my mom does not go a day without thinking of Annabelle's wedding, and is very much determined to make Annabelle's wedding cake for her.

Being a resident expert on reality wedding tv shows, I told her that that was probably the worst idea she can have. The mother of the bride especially should not be doing any work on the day of the wedding except cry and coddle every bit of attention people give her. The mother of the bride should not be making the cake.

Reasons why this is a bad idea:
First of all, wedding cakes are creatures with a mind of their own. If not pampered correctly in the right temperature, it will melt and look like a disaster.

Secondly, it has to be assembled on the day of the wedding, and I don't know how my mom will have time for this on the day of the wedding, considering the amount of attention she will be getting from everyone. And knowing my mom, she will be very disappointed if she cannot accept all this attention without channeling her inner diva and let said inner diva shine through.

Thirdly, hello, only the most obvious fact that she's never made a wedding cake before. And that Vinay's family will probably be very disappointed by the lack of grandeur this first attempt will have.

Fourthly, I am afraid for the people eating the cake. A.K.A, you, me, and everyone else.

But she's grown so attached to this idea of making the cake that I don't really want to burst her bubble by telling her why it's a bad idea. Her intention is to decorate the cake with one thousand white, handmade flowers from fondant. This was our conversation:

Me: *Apprehensive that she will put me to work* So when are you going to have time to make all these flowers?

Mom: Starting today. I will start practicing now and make one a day. By next year I should have a thousand.

Me: *Thinking that one flower a day from now until next year does not equal a thousand* Where are you going to store all these flowers and how the heck are they going to last one year?

Mom: *As if it is the most obvious thing in the world* You freeze them, duh.

Guys, disaster disaster disaster. I advised Annabelle to have a backup cake just in case, but she's also sold by the idea that my mom is making the cake for her and thinks it's cute. Cute! So guys, it's up to me to save the cake. I will buy a backup cake or have one on speed dial just incase something disastrous happens (which I know it will).

One response to “The Cake is a Lie

  1. Or, in the case that cake shops can't make a wedding cake the day of, have the number of a good cupcake store on speed dial ;)

Leave a Reply

Followers